• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barry Lyndon movie fakery.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually Stanley Kubrick is really detail oriented in his movies. That said, I watched Barry Lyndon for the first time in many decades. The scene where Barry is fighting for the Prussian army, he is in a building where they are shooting out of a window, it's hard not to notice the flintlock muskets are actually have trap door actions with a fake flint on the hammer. Also, the (obviously fake) frizzen is open before firing. My wife thought I was going mad since I was laughing so much during that battle scene. Anyone else pick up on this?

Great Film. "One thing is certain: They are all equal now" (or something to that effect)

Their were dozens of pallets of these TDs with fake flints at the MGM/stembridge gun rental auction long ago. All were sold or broken up for parts. The advent of injected cast plastic faux weapons and most "hard props" plus cgi did them in and are no long used in most movies. Almost as annoying as lee enfields in "zulu" or Jed Clampetts rifle in "the beverly hillbillies"

Their were dozens of pallets of these TDs with fake flints at the MGM/stembridge gun rental auction long ago. All were sold or broken up for parts. The advent of injected cast plastic faux weapons and most "hard props" plus cgi did them in and are no long used in most movies. Almost as annoying as lee enfields in "zulu" or Jed Clampetts rifle in "the beverly hillbillies"
The new Ridley Scott "Napoleon" is opening Halloween; we shall see what progress had been made in that area....

Actors don't always have the authority to "police" details of prop use; Klink's real name, Klemperer, wasn't he the son or father of a famous orchestra director, Werner Klemperor? You could never make that 'Hogan' TV show nowadays! The Nazi imagery, even as buffoons, would get the studio picketed!
His father was Otto Klemperer, the conductor.

The new Ridley Scott "Napoleon" is opening Halloween; we shall see what progress had been made in that area....
The injection machine can crank out just about anything but fabric costumes. My residual contacts told me like the majority of props in current battle scenes are just color correct plastic/rubber with a stiffener for rigidity. Strangely many of these are sold after the movie for big $$ with a letter of authenticity (to the movie). CGI does the flash and smoke.

You need to watch Mr. Sunshine on Netflix. The show itself was not bad but was based on Japan's take over of Korea and the lates date depicted was before 1920. Many of the Koreans were still using matchlocks that looked like something from a cartoon but there was also a good mix of M1's and other modern guns. Pretty sure I saw at least one Ruger handgun.

in the tv series western the big valley i saw two different times where somebody was using a 336-marlin lever gun, they did not come out until 1948, here in a Gunsmoke scene is an old car!

There were several boo boos in the series The Waltons. In one that was supposed to be set in the late 30's or early 40's they showed a scene featuring a large brick public building and a parking lot full of cars from the 60's and 70's . They are a bit more careful now than they used to be.

I'd like to see them do a remake with Mr. Bean.
Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) is a world class serious actor. His portrayal of Maigret is A+. Maigret is deadly serious, never smiles, (his wife does a few times).

Best TV series detectives (just my opinion)
Holmes: Jeremy Brett
Poirot : David Suchet
Maigret: Rowan Atkinson
Colombo: Peter Falk

Near the start of Barry Lyndon, they're filming in technicolor by candlelight. That had never been done before (too dim).

The book is a classic novel of Victorian literature by Thackeray. He also wrote Vanity Fair (Becky Sharp).

Thackeray also invented the lifelike wig ! (just kidding).
I get a kick out of Colonial movies (the wigs they wear, LOL)!

440px-William_Makepeace_Thackeray_by_Jesse_Harrison_Whitehurst-crop.jpg

I like how Mrs. Maigret sometimes helps her professional husband with little bits here and there.

I looked up the wikipedia charts tonight.
The best selling detective authors were
Sir A.C. Doyle (Homes) nobody can count, most were short stories.
Agatha Christie (Poirot, Marple) (3 billion sold)!
Georges Simenon (Maigret) number three (600 million).

For fiction books, not just detectives, Shakespeare leads (3+ billion).

For non fiction the Bible (1) and Koran (2) have sold nobody can know how many billions and billions.

Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) is a world class serious actor. His portrayal of Maigret is A+. Maigret is deadly serious, never smiles, (his wife does a few times).

Best TV series detectives (just my opinion)
Holmes: Jeremy Brett
Poirot : David Suchet
Maigret: Rowan Atkinson
Colombo: Peter Falk

Near the start of Barry Lyndon, they're filming in technicolor by candlelight. That had never been done before (too dim).

The book is a classic novel of Victorian literature by Thackeray. He also wrote Vanity Fair (Becky Sharp).
I never heard of Maigret. I will have to check that out.

I concur on Holmes/Brett and Poirot/Suchet.

Several of the actresses who played Miss Marple in the BBC series were also quite good.

I think it was the movie "The Mountain Men" Brian Keith got a blast to the side of the head from a touchhole next to him. He noticeably winced. Very realistic, probably because it was real and it hurt.

Usually Stanley Kubrick is really detail oriented in his movies. That said, I watched Barry Lyndon for the first time in many decades. The scene where Barry is fighting for the Prussian army, he is in a building where they are shooting out of a window, it's hard not to notice the flintlock muskets are actually have trap door actions with a fake flint on the hammer. Also, the (obviously fake) frizzen is open before firing. My wife thought I was going mad since I was laughing so much during that battle scene. Anyone else pick up on this?
Well,
Was O’Neal really Barry Lyndon?
No he was a guy playing a part.
The “trapdoors” are playing a part. In a sense the props are actors too.

I cannot stand the B-movie Westerns taking place during the Civil War or shortly after when everyone has an 1873 Colt or lever action. And the hero is the only guy West of the Mississippi that has a cartridge conversion pair. And every male in town has a low-slung, thigh-tiring, pistol rig.

I was amazed, in The Red Badge of Courage, a close up showed that they had Enfield rifles. Not many repo's when that movie was made
Interesting. Enfields were used quite a bit during the ACW. Given the chance, Union soldiers would discard Enfields in favor of pick-up Springfields after a battle.

Back