• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barry Lyndon movie fakery.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Usually Stanley Kubrick is really detail oriented in his movies. That said, I watched Barry Lyndon for the first time in many decades. The scene where Barry is fighting for the Prussian army, he is in a building where they are shooting out of a window, it's hard not to notice the flintlock muskets are actually have trap door actions with a fake flint on the hammer. Also, the (obviously fake) frizzen is open before firing. My wife thought I was going mad since I was laughing so much during that battle scene. Anyone else pick up on this?

Those kind of mistakes are kind of common in “ historical” movies. Reminds me of a scene in “Revolution” where the Americans are behind breasrworks awaiting the British advance. One close- up of a farmer with a percussion musket.
I try to overlook these and just enjoy the film, but yeah, sometimes it’s hard to 🙃
Barry Lynden was a great movie.

Kubrick concentrated on getting the clothing correct. Although one of the characters is wearing a brown cocked hat. The color was based on an original black hat that had faded to brown.

Most of the available "flintlock" prop guns were those trap door guns. Made it easier for the armorers to provide blank cartridges.

In general, "Barry Lyndon" was a decent movie with the Seven Years War in Europe driving the plot.

Who's Barry lyndon?
It’s a long slow movie, that is really an enjoyable few hours. It was a real stab at historic correctness in a movie for the time.
Guns less then correct, but John Wayne had a ‘peacemaker’ colt and a Winchester in Commancheros set in the Texas Republic sometime before 1846

Usually Stanley Kubrick is really detail oriented in his movies. That said, I watched Barry Lyndon for the first time in many decades. The scene where Barry is fighting for the Prussian army, he is in a building where they are shooting out of a window, it's hard not to notice the flintlock muskets are actually have trap door actions with a fake flint on the hammer. Also, the (obviously fake) frizzen is open before firing. My wife thought I was going mad since I was laughing so much during that battle scene. Anyone else pick up on this?
Wow! I saw the movie in the Theater at the time it came out. Never noticed that hokey .45-70 thing, but also would not have thought they would have done that at the time because it was touted as such a superior movie. BTW, was 1st use of a 1:1 camera lens which could capture very dim natural light images. Thanks for the time-travel note!

It’s a long slow movie, that is really an enjoyable few hours. It was a real stab at historic correctness in a movie for the time.
Guns less then correct, but John Wayne had a ‘peacemaker’ colt and a Winchester in Commancheros set in the Texas Republic sometime before 1846
In the John Wayne movie the Undefeated which takes place months after the end of the Civil War he and his men are carrying 1873 pistols and 1892 Winchesters. The Rebs are using 1873 trapdoors.

In the John Wayne movie the Undefeated which takes place months after the end of the Civil War he and his men are carrying 1873 pistols and 1892 Winchesters. The Rebs are using 1873 trapdoors.
It was a real surprise to me as a late teen to learn that they weren’t carrying winchesters and trapdoors during the WBTS as that’s what so many movies had.

The original Swiss Family Robinson used a lot of those fake flintlock trapdoors. It was so obvious when they fired and the frizzen didn't move yet the guns fired anyway.

I saw the movie Barry Lyndon at the theater and figured Kubrick must have put most of the money into the clothes. It's been so long I can't remember much about it just a few scenes here and there. I pay attention to the ordinance in movies and on TV. And yes, it sometimes annoys the squeeze; she'll always say something like, "most people don't know about old guns like you do". I do catch mistakes when they use the wrong/fairytale weapons.

It seems that the French in the video above have trouble pronouncing the command for "feu". But then most reenactors do too, but in a different way.

Last edited:
Barry Lyndon is a great movie if you can look past Ryan O'Neal's terrible acting. It won several Oscars (but not for Best Actor). Too bad they didn't cast someone that seemed to care about the role, and get the guns right of course!

Too bad the MGM prop/ stembridge gun rental sales happened before the advent of digital cameras. The faux MLs were amazing and often comical.

Latest posts

Back