• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bar & Chain oil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
My chain saw gave up the ghost and I have about a 1/4 of a quart of Poulan oil in a plastic container just sitting on the shelf. I've heard of using Motor Oil or Automatic Transmission Oil as a gun lubricant. How would Bar & Chain oil do as a lubricant or rust preventive?

Last edited:
Many Loggers around here are down to using filtered used motor oil. Understand someone is supplying it and not state approved or taxed. Maybe the log haulers???

Found my new electric 14" uses far less oil. Maybe the tens of thousands now using electrics are changing the oil market??? May also say chains last forever and replacements are far cheaper than having them resharpened (if you hire it out).

That 400% increase in oil is probably for Motor Oil and such.What are small containers like RemOil or 3 in1going for? Your typical tins of gun oil are probably not cheap.

Found my new electric 14" uses far less oil. Maybe the tens of thousands now using electrics are changing the oil market??? May also say chains last forever and replacements are far cheaper than having them resharpened (if you hire it out).
Electric, either AC or battery , seem to have become more efficient through the years. That's one of the reasons why I'm in no hurry to buy an electric vehicle. Let them be on the market for a pretty good while to work out the bugs. People who buy products made with a new technology are "Guinea Pigs". I recall my Dad bought a car with an automatic transmission the first year they came out. Big mistake.

Electric, either AC or battery , seem to have become more efficient through the years. That's one of the reasons why I'm in no hurry to buy an electric vehicle. Let them be on the market for a pretty good while to work out the bugs. People who buy products made with a new technology are "Guinea Pigs". I recall my Dad bought a car with an automatic transmission the first year they came out. Big mistake.
Electric stuff from chainsaws to cars are either hampered or doomed to failure due to current battery technology. The weight of Electric chainsaw batteries limits bar size. My 14" ego weighs as much as same size gas Stihl.

One of these days "they" (Environmentalists) are going to wake up and realize that batteries are a tremendous drain on our resources. Batteries are a convenience but not really a necessity. The "tree huggers" probably do know it but won't admit it publicly.

My chain saw gave up the ghost and I have about a 1/4 of a quart of Poulan oil in a plastic container just sitting on the shelf. I've heard of using Motor Oil or Automatic Transmission Oil as a gun lubricant. How would Bar & Chain oil do as a lubricant or rust preventive?
Good stuff as a bar/chain oil, but personally would save for some non-traditional muzzleloader use. Penny wise, pound foolish, as the old saying goes.

Environmentalist have loggers using non petroleum oils like cooking oils in some places. A friend that's a full time logger was going to Sams club and buying it, one of the common ones,can't remember exactly which one,

Electric stuff from chainsaws to cars are either hampered or doomed to failure due to current battery technology. The weight of Electric chainsaw batteries limits bar size. My 14" ego weighs as much as same size gas Stihl.
My 18" Ego is great, and a lot lighter than my Husqvarna with a 20" bar. No exhaust smell, and a lot quieter. It doesn't last as long because of having to charge but when I use it, I keep in mind that it's not going to be an all-day firewood cutting venture.

I would think that being a petroleum based product it will react with BP and gum up things. I would save it for lubing unmentionables and metal parts requiring thicker lube depending on the tool and application.

Back