• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bar & Chain oil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some ancient 2 cycle oil for mixing gas at a yard sale years ago, I never used it because I didn't know if it would work in a 50 to 1 modern 2 cycle engine. I use it for swabbing the exterior metal as well the bore of my guns if I am putting them up for a while. I clean any oils out of my bore if I plan to shoot, I have experienced "0" black powder gumming up from using this oil.

I put it in my oiler for lubing anything on my tractor or any stuck part I run across. I think I paid about $2 for a case of this stuff. To me oil is oil, this stuff is so old that the containers are cardboard.

two cycle oil.JPG

Is yours an EGO? I got one of those recently. Boy, can that little thing ever saw!!
Yes and no more sore elbows and hands from yanking cord. Have a 600 cfm leaf blower than uses same battery and works well. The battery weight vs the actual bare tool still reflects how crude battery tech remains. From all the comments it seems oil has really become "black gold".

My chain saw gave up the ghost and I have about a 1/4 of a quart of Poulan oil in a plastic container just sitting on the shelf. I've heard of using Motor Oil or Automatic Transmission Oil as a gun lubricant. How would Bar & Chain oil do as a lubricant or rust preventive?
Probably will work well to prelube your patches. It is very clingy as intended and may be a good lock lube but I am not sure how well it would seep? If you have any differential oil laying around that stuff has tons of friction modifiers in it but boy does it smell bad.

Environmentalist have loggers using non petroleum oils like cooking oils in some places. A friend that's a full time logger was going to Sams club and buying it, one of the common ones,can't remember exactly which one,
I’ve been using vegetable oil from the Dollar store in my chain saws ever since I learned that the German federal forest service uses it. It works great and I go through a bottle or two a year.
Jay

I think I'll try mixing it with gasoline to make my own fuel for a 2 stroke engine on a small tiller that I have.That store bought ready mixed fuel is unbelievably expensive.

Two stroke oil made for air cooled motors may not work in a liquid cooled two stroke engine, and vis versa. Found this out the hard way using up some Mercury two stroke oil to mix with the gas in a chain saw. Burned it up in short order.

I have about a 1/4 of a quart of Poulan oil in a plastic container just sitting on the shelf.
A lot of thought and effort to repurpose 8oz of chainsaw bar oil. Is it taking up an excessive amount of your available oil storage shelf area? No plans to replace old chainsaw? If it were me, I for sure wouldn’t risk mucking up a muzzleloader with some stuff that is sticky by design. Save it for your next chainsaw or properly dispose of this couple bucks worth of oil if you don’t care or cannot store it for future use.

One of these days "they" (Environmentalists) are going to wake up and realize that batteries are a tremendous drain on our resources. Batteries are a convenience but not really a necessity. The "tree huggers" probably do know it but won't admit it publicly.
Yes and hopefully they will realize that the batteries in their phones and pads fall in to the category of flash lights and their toys. What will they do then ! 🙄

I have no doubt that bidder/seller vetting is either here or coming soon. Had an indirect complaint that someone was blocked from our estate items. We did find out they had been blocked by another auction site. Think sites may be sharing or selling lists.

Are you using vegetable oil for bar oil or fuel mix oil?
I would also use the left over for the next saw or give it to someone else using a chainsaw. Stick with gun oil for your gun. Plenty of other options.

Since I use STP on all revolver cylinder pins, bp or unmentionables, i would use chain oil there. Best to prevent wear and keep fouling out. A small drop on the ratchet also does wonders.
I am going to mention one to show, my Ruger SBH in ,44 mag has over 190,000 rounds through it with no measurable wear.

A lot of thought and effort to repurpose 8oz of chainsaw bar oil. Is it taking up an excessive amount of your available oil storage shelf area? No plans to replace old chainsaw? If it were me, I for sure wouldn’t risk mucking up a muzzleloader with some stuff that is sticky by design. Save it for your next chainsaw or properly dispose of this couple bucks worth of oil if you don’t care or cannot store it for future use.
Gee if I had known that a simple mention of what to do with a few ounces of chainsaw oil, I'd have not bothered posting . this thread. I am probably going to mix that oil with gasoline to make a batch of 2 stroke fuel. No firearms will be subjected to any corrosion tests.So rest easy.

Back