• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any other heretics out there that oil their barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why whale oil would smell fishy , whales are mammals , the fresh meat and blubber don't smell or taste fishy , slightly gone off and rotten whale smells like nothing else on this earth and is most off putting to say the least . I have necropsied several whales from small to very large and the best way to get the smell out is burn everything that got rotten whale on it . Before and after WW2 whale was used as transmission oil in both motor vehicles and aircraft . It was also used to oil watches , make margarine , tan leather and make candles . The meat and bone was used for stock food and fertilizer. Whale was a major source of fats and proteins in the post war years . If you grew up in Europe or Britain in the 50's and 60's and had eaten margarine ,eggs , vegetables , drank milk they all had used whale somewhere in their production .

I don't know why whale oil would smell fishy , whales are mammals , the fresh meat and blubber don't smell or taste fishy , slightly gone off and rotten whale smells like nothing else on this earth and is most off putting to say the least . I have necropsied several whales from small to very large and the best way to get the smell out is burn everything that got rotten whale on it . Before and after WW2 whale was used as transmission oil in both motor vehicles and aircraft . It was also used to oil watches , make margarine , tan leather and make candles . The meat and bone was used for stock food and fertilizer. Whale was a major source of fats and proteins in the post war years . If you grew up in Europe or Britain in the 50's and 60's and had eaten margarine ,eggs , vegetables , drank milk they all had used whale somewhere in their production .
I’d like to have some real whale oil, doubtful that will ever happen. But I have eaten it before (not in this country) and it’s quite tasty. Not sure what kind of whale it was. They are magnificent animals and now deserve to be left alone.

Hot soapy water. Followed by dry patches. Followed by WD40 because the WD stands for water displacing. Then a lightly oiled patch. Wipe the gun down with Ballistol because it seems to resist dust and fingerprints.

I have used 3 in 1 oil, Rim Oil, sewing machine oil, WD40, Hoppes #9 and probably others throughout the years. I only had one rifle that had a hard time getting the first shot to go off, so before the first shot I would pour a small amount of alcohol into the barrel and prime and fire it off. After I started doing that, I had no problem with that rifle. I am glad that I only had to do this to one gun because I hated to waste alcohol.
I prefer using alchohol myself, only after the shooting of course! 1st choice is Tequila made with 100% agave which means no after affects the next day!!! LOL

I've used G96 mil.spec. oil/spray including a cap lock since I first inherited it.

use it on guns and other metallic items period.

go to go.

camo

Kinda. I use vegetable oil though, no dinosaur products

What is weird about me is I clean the revolver with veg oil and nothing else. Rifle gets the hot water treatment. Nothing else besides tools and elbow grease used. Will admit I had access to an air compressor last time I cleaned rifle. Very handy for ensuring nothing left from nipple to muzzle. A compressor is on my "gonna get bought soon" list ...
Haven’t read all the pages of this thread…don’t know if I’ll live that long, but though I have a compressor it is in the garage (detached) and I clean my guns in my basement. So I use canned compressed air that is used for blowing dust out of computers and electronics. Not the cheapest stuff but very handy to have at the cleaning bench.

Yep, good ol' WD-40. Run a saturated patch before storage and a dry patch before shooting. I also leave the saturated patch balled up in the muzzle with a corner sticking out for easy removal and a toothpick in the flash hole.

Most definitely but only about 40 yrs, of even greater concern to the witch tribunal I've been seen successfully shooting a flintlock with T7 occasionally 🤫
Pure sacrilege

I'll use whatever works and doesn't cause me issues. I'm more interested in having a functional gun when I need it rather than appeasing some period correct purest. That being said, I've used bore butter, No 13, and Grizzley Grease and have never had a single issue. However, my main cleaning method is still boiling water and clean patches.

I've been cleaning guns for more years than I care to count and when I got into BP quite a few years ago I decided to lubricate with the same products and methods I've used successfully on many cartridge guns. I take care of my firearms and never had a spot of rust due to improper cleaning or storage. I read about Bore Butter and the kinds of concoctions used to protect the barrel but never understood why no one recommended a light coat of oil same as you put on the cartridge gun barrel after cleaning. I do remember reading that it was the worst thing to do because it fouls the powder and it won't ignite.

In the beginning, I use to run a clean patch through before shooing in case there was too much oil but have since even stopped doing that before shooting. In all this time, not one load has been oil-fouled and not one spot of rust in my BP longarms or handguns. I buy and use the same products for all my guns regardless of the type of powder that goes in them. The only products I added to my cleaning arsenal for BP are hot water and dish soap.

Are there any other BP cleaning heretics and barrel oilers in the forum?
Soap, water, clean, un-used

10w40

And all of you swab between shots?

I oil the bores of my muzzleloaders with a modern gun oil. E.g., FP-10 or G-96. It gets cleaned out with rubbing alcohol before I go to the range.

With a good wet patch lube like Mr. Flintlock, swabbing between shots is not necessary. Yesterday I shot a woods walk and the 20th shot loaded as easily as the first. A friend used Track of the Wolf's Bore Cleaning Solvent as his patch lube and his experience was identical.

After I'm done I run a few patches with either Mr. Flintlock or Hoppe's No.9 Plus down the bore and finish up cleaning with water at home. Then a patch with rubbing alcohol as a drying agent, and then oil.

If I'm hunting I degrease the bore before loading, then load with a patch lubed with Track's Mink Oil Tallow or October Country's Bumblin Bear Grease. I then run a cleaning patch with the same lube down the bore after it's been loaded. Do the same thing if you like Wonder Lube

This whole "no petroleum products in black powder guns" thing is bunk. Just clean it out before shooting.

I've been shooting muzzleloaders since the late 1970s and this is what works for me.

Back