• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any other heretics out there that oil their barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I oil my barrels. Once clean I like Eezox. Stays put and provides protection without staying greasy and attracting and holding dirt and dust.
Eezox is good stuff to use when you store your firearms once used it on a 45acp left it in the safe for over 5yrs no rust whatsoever it leaves a protective film on the firearm..Great stuff .

WD-40, although I don’t use it on my firearms I do know the it sinks to the bottom of a spot of water. Water floats on top off WD-40 water displacing water is what the WD stands for. It behaves the opposite of normal oil.
To remove water from inside your barrel pour in a bit of 99% alcohol, it will absorb the water and accelerate it evaporation. Like gas line anti freeze that absorbs water in gasoline it all then burns up in the engine.
So either WD-40 or alcohol works to remove water from barrel steel inside or outside.

I’m sure squirting in brake cleaner via a high pressure aerosol spray can would work too maybe even better considering the light specific gravity of the fluid.

Paste wax will lift off the surface it’s applied to if water is splashed on it that’s thats how white rings are made on a coffee table, always put your cold sweating beverage container on a coaster so it won’t lift the wax finish.
Also wax is a very poor anti rust product.

Last edited:
I clean with ballistol/water in the field. Soap and water at home. I always leave a very thin coat of gun oil (Hoppes) in the bore. It's thin enough to prevent muzzle or first few inches of bore from rusting, but doesn't affect cold bore shot.

Hoppes is just 100% mineral oil, so it's pretty benign.

Ah jes eat possum meat and let th’ grease run offa my chin an’ down th’ barrel. Bonus- I wipe my fingers off on th’ stock.
Jay

Rumour has it that Virgin Possum meat grease drippings are the heavenly remedy for rust prevention on ML long-arms, and by default an effective remedy for impotency in ol timers like we folk.

Attachments

• IMG_1706.jpeg
    IMG_1706.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
Back