• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Skimming Slag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll preface this with saying I’m new to casting and I’m still learning. Despite this, by following the directions I’ve been able to produce very uniform balls with the Lee two cavities and pot. I talked the manager of a local, industrial lead distributor into selling me some giant ingots for cash. He said they were 99% pure. When I melt them down the only “slag” I’m getting is a golden skin that seems to accumulate steadily on the surface as I’m casting. I don’t think it’s “slag” in the sense that it does not look at all like what I’ve seen watching YouTube’s of people casting. It’s very uniform and constant. It’s easy to skim off, but it doesn’t look like what people using wheel weights or old lead are removing. Does anyone know what this is?

This is what it looks like cold.
image.jpg

I’ve been skimming it. I’m just not convinced it’s “slag”.

I’ve got it on 6 when in ready to cast. Should I go cooler? Not that this is much or it really matters. I just kind of wanted to cheat and use the purest lead I could.

I read somewhere that a layer of charcoal on top will prevent the formation. I never tried it since I just scrape the stuff off occasionally.

Lead thermometers are not always accurate. I had one that read a 100 degrees low. I thought my pot was not working until I checked the thermometer against two others. 800 degrees read 700 on the new but defective one.

I’ve got it on 6 when in ready to cast. Should I go cooler? Not that this is much or it really matters. I just kind of wanted to cheat and use the purest lead I could.
As the others have said, it's fine and your lead is good. In my experience, pure or nearly pure lead will get a variety of colors on the surface if heated too much and will go through a wild rainbow of gold, blue, purple, etc.. When I melt stuff that has much tin or antimony I don't get those colors at all.

I saw this thread before I went out to make some ingots and remembered it when I was getting done so I left a little in the bottom of the pot and kept the heat up and snapped these pics as it changed colors. You can see in the first pic some of it's blue and some is the gold color you mentioned and in the next pic the gold had turned blue.

Attachments

• IMG_20230924_171022.jpg
    IMG_20230924_171022.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230924_171340.jpg
    IMG_20230924_171340.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Does anyone know what this is?
Another vote for it's just the heat. If there's nothing to skim,, just stir. Your good, keep the rhythm when casting esp with those Lee's, lube the pins on the those blocks and don't "knock" too hard

Last edited:
I read somewhere that a layer of charcoal on top will prevent the formation. I never tried it since I just scrape the stuff off occasionally.

Lead thermometers are not always accurate. I had one that read a 100 degrees low. I thought my pot was not working until I checked the thermometer against two others. 800 degrees read 700 on the new but defective one.
If it was a mercury thermometer check for a break (air pocket) in the mercury. If there is one cool it down very low, like with dry ice and suck all the mercury into the bulb and then let slowly reach ambient temperature and the break (air pocket) will be gone.

Nav, don't go by the numbers on your pot. They are only a reference. Buy yourself a casting thermometer. They're not very expensive but well worth it. I normally cast right around 700*-750*

Back