• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ballistol - a portmanteau name derived from 'ballistic' and 'oil' [in German] is a product originating from Germany before World War I, after the German military requested an 'all-around' oil and cleaner for their rifles and equipment. The German military used it from 1905 to 1945.

The chemical is a yellowish clear liquid with a consistency expected of a light oil. However, when it comes in contact with water it emulsifies, becoming a thick creamy white substance. It has a sweet and mildly pungent smell similar to black licorice. It is distributed in liquid and aerosol forms. The aerosol uses butane or propane as a propellant.

It advertises it has no carcinogens. Some other similar chemicals contain petro-chemicals which can pollute the environment if improperly handled.

My great uncle Jack was famed for using it as a component of his notorious lightning pick-me-up after a 'bout of misery' in the trenches of WW1. The recipe goes as follows - I do NOT commend it you, simply noting that it works on the human body exactly the way you might imagine.

1. A regular-sized glass tumbler of about 1/3rd of an imperial pint is filled 2/3rd with clear methylated spirits [in the UK this usual contains a purple dye, and, if consumed in any decent amount, turns the lips a similar and unhealthy shade.]

2. Topping the glass of with California Syrup of Figs, add to that

3. A heaped spoonful of Krueschens effervescent liver salts.

4. While it fizzes away, add a few drops of Ballistol - looted from the late owners of a handy but no-longer operating Maxim gun - and drink the whole thing straight down.

I well remember him noting that, apart from suffering total decapitation, as fatal in those days as it is now, a body might well respond with nigh-on instant signs of animation withing seconds of imbibing the brew.

Last edited:
Ballistol - a portmanteau name derived from 'ballistic' and 'oil' [in German] is a product originating from Germany before World War I, after the German military requested an 'all-around' oil and cleaner for their rifles and equipment. The German military used it from 1905 to 1945.

The chemical is a yellowish clear liquid with a consistency expected of a light oil. However, when it comes in contact with water it emulsifies, becoming a thick creamy white substance. It has a sweet and mildly pungent smell similar to black licorice. It is distributed in liquid and aerosol forms. The aerosol uses butane or propane as a propellant.

It advertises it has no carcinogens. Some other similar chemicals contain petro-chemicals which can pollute the environment if improperly handled.

My great uncle Jack was famed for using it as a component of his notorious lightning pick-me-up after a 'bout of misery' in the trenches of WW1, using it to lace his cocktail of 2/3rd methylated spirits, half and half California Syrup of Figs, topped of with a heaped spoonful of Krueschens effervescent - add a few drops of Ballistol - looted from the late owners of a handy but no-longer operating Maxim gun.
I tip my hat to your Great Uncle Jack and all his comrades. No apology in this case, for going off topic.

No way I’m drinking that concoction! I have on gun that will rust with ballistol on it, and one that it seems to protect. I clean them thoroughly. It’s a mystery.

A couple drops behind your ear....great for picking up girls. Works well in rimfire rifles as well. Some big winning was done with a .22 benchrest rifle that had well over 100,000 rounds through it, cleaned with it as you would clean with Hoppes #9.
next thing you will have to buy her a gun also!! not good!!

I also like the smell of Ballistol but it does sting my sinuses. I mix it with some water and a bit of Murphy's Oil Soap to make a powder solvent and patch lube which I like very well. I call it Moose Milk (a universal term). I treat the bore and outside with Fluid Film or G96. Ballistol was invented over 100 years ago for the German army as an all-purpose cleaner, lube and preservative, the original CLP, but it's water soluble. You can clean your rifle, protect your leathers, and put it on a cut or scrape when you bandage it. It has antiseptic qualities.

Like many here I use it mixed with water at the range to lube patches, clean the barrel and lock. When I get home I use a good gun oil before storage. Bill

I had issues with rust in the bores when using it. So I stopped using it

Ballistol is an excellent rust preventative. Something else was causing the rust.

I never understood adding water to it. If that's what you did, that is probably why you got rust.

The smell literally makes me want to vomit, but the odor goes away in a day or two.

Last edited:
other wise you might be the PROUD PARENT' OF THE VILLAGE IDIOT!!

Ballistol is an excellent rust preventative. Something else was causing the rust.

I never understood adding water to it. If that's what you did, that is probably why you got rust.

The smell literally makes me want to vomit, but the odor goes away in a day or two.

Nope that was straight ballistol, and same result in every bore. I use WD40, and it works like a champ

use anti freeze mixed with cutting oil. wont rust your barrels and protect them much better than ballistol.

Not sure what is going on with rust on/in their firearms using Ballistol but I use it on all my weapons and have never had an issue in the 10 years I have been using it. Some of them being left in the gun safe for a couple years or more. I know of one former high end gun engraver that would only use Ballistol on firearms worth 1k's. He swore up and down by it. I use it mixed with water a s a BP solvent and patch lube. Use it as a gun oil and even on leather. After surviving cancer I am VERY careful about what I use and come into contact with so I'll stick with Ballistol. It is also approved in the food industry where food comes in contact with machinery.

Latest posts

Back