• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are you still growing your Garden?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My garden went in late this year too wet and cold and now no rain. Water every other day. Three 50 ft rows of beans, 60 tomato plants an 24 assorted peppers. It’s doing well with the humid weather and should produce good. Asparagus is Ferned out nicely 400 roots all 10 years old.

I have a bumper crop of Japanese beetles. Last year they nearly defoliated newly planted cherry trees before I knew they were there. This year I got the jump on them with spray PLUS I received these traps yesterday. These things are amazing, in 24 hours I have collected hundreds of hungry beetles. Its refreshing to buy a product that actually works as intended.

Attachments

• 1656884502846.png
    1656884502846.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
Deer are the big problem here just now. Chard is mowed but will grow back. Needed to replace a couple of dead dogwoods years back. Used Winterking Hawthorne which has big sharp spikes. Deer did not touch them when they were little and stay away from them now.
I don't want to brag we produce big deer. But they have been mistaken for mules.

Are we going to have a thread on gardening this year? I'm sure some got started already. I did in a small way. Just 7 tomatoes and 6 squash so far.My garden is alot smaller than last year's.
If you planted six squash you will have squash coming out of your ears!
My wife was a big city girl but she loves to plant things. she thinks she is farming but her plot is only 10' X10' when she see the first sign of fruit she gets all excited. I love to see her happy! This year I showed her where watermelons liked to grow in another part of our yard now she has three vines and a couple of small watermelons on the way. This is a first for her.

Last edited:
If you planted six squash you will have squash coming out of your ears!
My wife was a big city girl but she loves to plant things. she thinks she is farming but her plot is only 10' X10' when she see the first sign of fruit she gets all excited. I love to see her happy! This year I showed her where watermelons liked to grow in another part of our yard now she has three vines and a couple of small watermelons on the way. This is a first for her.
In a normal year I probably would have. This was not a normal year.

we planted 5 yellows squash and have been canning, freezing, and eating squash for 2 weeks. 40 Roma tomato plants all have mega tomatoes on them and my wife said, "I think I planted too many tomatoes, don't let me do that again" :doh:
Corn, peppers, green beans, potatoes doing well, just pulled the garlic and onions, so far looks like it will be a decent year

Tomatoes now getting ripe. Plenty of cucumbers. Corn be ready in about another week.
Going to be a good year in South West Va.

I live in southern/central Colorado. My son and I were building a greenhouse. We dug down around 5' below ground. Saw an article for a below ground greenhouse to extend in to winter time growing. That was the very easy part so far. Kind of hit a snag though. Lumber prices went ballistic and stalled the project. If it gets completed, I'll post pictures and let you know haw well it works in to winter here. Wife misses fresh veggies and herbs.

Ripe grape tomatoes this coming week. Along with first cucumbers. Sweet peppers to be picked this weekend. Getting excited. Gotta get weeding.

Ripe grape tomatoes this coming week. Along with first cucumbers. Sweet peppers to be picked this weekend. Getting excited. Gotta get weeding.
I love the flavor of grape tomatoes (they make a "mean" salad) but it can be a chore to pick them if you got alot ripe ones all at once.It's a time consuming thing. Like picking berries,but not a problem if you got the time.

Farmers markets here are loaded with fresh vegetables. This has been a good growing season for us in South West Va. Rain at the right time with lots warm weather. I see those people in Texas are having a very hot summer. Hard to grow stuff in that kind of weather.

I put up another 13 pints of Bread and Butter pickles today. Okay, that's all I'm doing. No more pickles. I have eaten some of the first batch and they came out great. Today I minced up a jalapeno pepper to add to the pickling liquid for a little kick. I'll know in a few days if it worked.

Latest posts

Back