• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are you still growing your Garden?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a tad "warm" down here in South Texas. Maybe it's the heat,but my garden has not been producing very much. I've had a few cherry tomatoes , some yellow squash and a few Okra but the garden had been let's say kind of "dormant.Maybe I'm watering too much?

Locals, mostly Amish, are selling really good tomatoes now here in Pennsylvania. They started them two months ago in plastic hoop house green houses.
Not QUITE as good as the genuine August beauties, but very good nonetheless.
Tomato, mozzarella, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Pretty much live on that all summer.
Or take a salt shaker and pick a ripe tomato. Eat it like an apple with salt.

That reminds me , on my next trip to the other side of town,I need to drop in on the Amish and see how their gardening is comming along.

Management (wife) fell off the back porch, landed on left elbow, jammed broken bones into shoulder socket - 10 days ago. Looking at surgery, Question to doctor - "How long before I can run my tiller?"

Really bad, constant pain. I try to help - seldom get out of ear shot. She checked her garden today. Question to me "When are you going to shoot those rabbits? They've eaten off my peas and eggplants."

From her recliner, she sees rabbits outside, playing. "See, there's two out there right now." I knew she was tough. I knew she enjoyed the hard manual labor of gardening in 90 degree heat, canning, etc.

Didn't know she wanted critters to die. G' bye bunnies - it's either you or me. She still has one good arm, sharp knives in the kitchen, and I have to sleep sometime. Never mess with a busted-up Grandma. They can get mean.

Tomatoes out of control!

Attachments

• 20210719_120948.jpg
    20210719_120948.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210719_121001.jpg
    20210719_121001.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210719_121017.jpg
    20210719_121017.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 7
Finished transplanting bought plants last week. Planted green beans that I started sometime back in pots. Stopped picking asparagus because of way to much to eat and give away. Couple years ago started two new plots by seeds, just to see if they would grow. Old plot date back before 1933 and still going strong. Cabbage plants planted in first of May are doing great. So things so far growing good.

Planting Today just taking a break. Tomatoes, Peppers, Green Beans, Cucumbers and squash. Asparagus I will let go to fern now to guarantee a big crop next year had way more than we could eat and giveaway this year.

There won't be much "giving away to the neighbors" this year. I'll pull up the already-dead squash plants tomorrow. For some reason my garden is way under par in production this growing season. I thought maybe it was the heat but I got a theory that it's the hot wind in addition to the heat.Some gardens that are blocked by a garage,some structure, a clump of trees, etc. appear to be doing okay.A hot blowing wind can be very dehydrating, I would think.It sure kept the bugs away too.

Will be picking Costa Rican Sweets before too long. Also cayenne and Panamanian bird peppers. Finished drying the first batch of basil yesterday. The Carolina Reapers are always late to produce...probably August. The deer fences seem to be holding.

Wasn't going to do my garden this year. August ,last year , a strong straight line wind flattened all my prize tomato plants , cages and all. Staked pepper plants flat , as well .. Lost most of the late season fruit , and became frustrated. Lotsa work gone. Decided to quit , but my sick wife went out and bought some of my favorite Big Boys ,German Johnson's , bell peppers , squash. Though she has been in and out of hospital , and lately , last week had a mild coronary , she doesn't want me to quit my garden.
Tilled my 20' x 20' plot today , plants go in tomorrow , unroll 125' water hose. Repair the anti- animal fence, fertilizer ready , shovel , hoe , and pocket knife. Fruit will start to arrive with squash in July. Ummm!!!!!!............Weather permitting?????????? :ghostly:

Wasn't going to do my garden this year. August ,last year , a strong straight line wind flattened all my prize tomato plants , cages and all. Staked pepper plants flat , as well .. Lost most of the late season fruit , and became frustrated. Lotsa work gone. Decided to quit , but my sick wife went out and bought some of my favorite Big Boys ,German Johnson's , bell peppers , squash. Though she has been in and out of hospital , and lately , last week had a mild coronary , she doesn't want me to quit my garden.
Tilled my 20' x 20' plot today , plants go in tomorrow , unroll 125' water hose. Repair the anti- animal fence, fertilizer ready , shovel , hoe , and pocket knife. Fruit will start to arrive with squash in July. Ummm!!!!!!............Weather permitting?????????? :ghostly:
Yes it is a lot of work to have a garden. per pound plus labor cheaper to by at store maybe, but love being out there and doing it.

Lettuce is growing well, as is the asparagus. Already made 2 strawberry/rhubarb pies. Just warming up enough for the rest of the garden to take off. It'll be a couple months until I'm picking peppers, tomatoes, and cukes.

Apple trees are spotty, which means less thinning for me. Blueberry plants are fuller than I've ever seen them.

Latest posts

Back