• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are you still growing your Garden?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's usually the 4th of July when our tomatoes are ripe. I have a sweet pear tree that has lots of pears this year. They usually get killed by late frost and freezes. Have lots of grapes on my grape vein this year.

Yes it is a lot of work to have a garden. per pound plus labor cheaper to by at store maybe, but love being out there and doing it.
Yes the local grocery store can supply them cheaper than I can grow them but "homegrown" is far better.(and a lot more fun too). I gave small bag of cherry tomatoes to a neighbor yesterday and her smile made it all worth it.

My luck with tomatoes.

Attachments

• image002(1).jpg
    image002(1).jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
There won't be much "giving away to the neighbors" this year. I'll pull up the already-dead squash plants tomorrow. For some reason my garden is way under par in production this growing season. I thought maybe it was the heat but I got a theory that it's the hot wind in addition to the heat.Some gardens that are blocked by a garage,some structure, a clump of trees, etc. appear to be doing okay.A hot blowing wind can be very dehydrating, I would think.It sure kept the bugs away too.
It sounds like my "hot wind theory" may have some merit.A gardening show on the local radio (San Antonio) had that very answer to a caller who said her tomatoes weren't doing so well this year. The gardening expert felt the hot dry wind very well could be the culprit.

In my "younger days" I heard that the Elderly should try and avoid the heat on really hot days. It seems they knew what they were talking about. We are supposed to have a 103-104 heat index and a heat advisory all week in South Texas.

We tried the Old German last year, I liked them, but they didn't seem to produce for very long. Weather got weird when they started producing, so that may have been an influence.
I've gotten several Old German tomatoes and they are tasty. But you are right about them not producing for too long. Aren"t they Indeterminates?I don't much care for determinates. I save the seeds from some Heirloom tomatos but it seems Old German sure don't have near as many seeds as others like the Cherokee Purple or a Brandywine do.

I've gotten several Old German tomatoes and they are tasty. But you are right about them not producing for too long. Aren"t they Indeterminates?I don't much care for determinates. I save the seeds from some Heirloom tomatos but it seems Old German sure don't have near as many seeds as others like the Cherokee Purple or a Brandywine do.
Wasn't going to do my garden this year. August ,last year , a strong straight line wind flattened all my prize tomato plants , cages and all. Staked pepper plants flat , as well .. Lost most of the late season fruit , and became frustrated. Lotsa work gone. Decided to quit , but my sick wife went out and bought some of my favorite Big Boys ,German Johnson's , bell peppers , squash. Though she has been in and out of hospital , and lately , last week had a mild coronary , she doesn't want me to quit my garden.
Tilled my 20' x 20' plot today , plants go in tomorrow , unroll 125' water hose. Repair the anti- animal fence, fertilizer ready , shovel , hoe , and pocket knife. Fruit will start to arrive with squash in July. Ummm!!!!!!............Weather permitting?????????? :ghostly:

After rebuilding my raised garden beds and setting up my container garden on my deck, my tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers are in as of Memorial Day weekend. The grape and cherry tomatoes have little bitty fruits. A couple of the sweet peppers have half dollar sized fruit. Really can’t plant till after the 15 of May

Well down here peppers can be a perennial plant. Most of mine last 3 yrs. The best yield is usually the second year. I had an egg plant for 7 years. Other plants last a season but the seasons are usually out of line with everybody else, but the upside is Frozen Banana Daiquiris off my own tree

So cold and wet around here this year my garden is way behind. I will be lucky to get peppers in September. My watermelons died and my carnival squash is likely to die as well.
The Summer squash is holding on and just waiting for sunny days to go off. Tomatoes are going to make it but there won't be any early fruits.

Tomatoes and cucumbers are now getting ripe. Cabbage is ready to cut. Been a good season so far. Rain at the right time.

Mine is all but done for. It has been a hot and dry season for us. We finally did get a decent shower several days ago but it was too late to do any good.

N.E. Missouri's been first - too wet, now - too dry. Wife fell off'n the back porch 6 weeks ago & broke her arm. Garden looks like something out of a magazine - National Geographic feature on starving Africans, not Farm Journal or Mother Earth News. Now the Asian Beetles have arrived. May go to Bangladesh to get something to eat. What's next, locusts? Oh well ...win one year, lose the next.

We have 48 hills of pumpkins and gourds she planted before she got hurt, so jack o' lanterns & wren house market is covered. What hasn't dried up, the rabbits have chewed off - exception being tomatoes which are stunted due to lack of water. Garden this year isn't going to feed the planet.

Blueberries, grapes, and elderberries are doing great, but one can only eat so much jelly. Hope everyone else has a bumper crop!

Wasn't going to put a garden in this year , but wife went out and got some plants. Planted less than the normal garden on week of Memorial day week end. First of July , the three Zucc. squashes planted have 3+ fast growing fruit. The six big Boy tomato plants are average 32" tall and in blossom. Bell peppers are struggling. Overall the garden is doing well.

Wasn't going to put a garden in this year , but wife went out and got some plants. Planted less than the normal garden on week of Memorial day week end. First of July , the three Zucc. squashes planted have 3+ fast growing fruit. The six big Boy tomato plants are average 32" tall and in blossom. Bell peppers are struggling. Overall the garden is doing well.
Very Cool
I do bucket gardening and the buckets are set up to be self-watering, just in case something comes up and I can't get to the plants for a couple days. (Parents are up in their 90's... you guys know how it can be)
So anyway, tomatoes, and bell peppers are doing fine. I think the redskin tater's are working... won't know until the fall.
I have two "orange habanjero <sp?>" plants going. They are supposed to be hotter than rocket fuel.
Beans are OK
MY WiriWiri pepper plants finally arrived. They are part of the "tobasco pepper family", and grow in Guyana, which is my better half's origin. They do have a sort of unique flavor, so are necessary when making Guyanese food. They are a rather strange bush though..., didn't ship well either so here's hoping. Here's a stock photo for anybody curious...
🤞

Attachments

• WIRIWIRI.jpg
    WIRIWIRI.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
They are part of the "tobasco pepper family"
They look like some pepper plants that grow along the fence at the farm near the Brazos River. Hot little things that the Mexicans like. Hot peppers are popular around the world.
Someone above mentioned habanero peppers. They are way too hot for me! Don't care for the flavor, either, but HEB (grocery store) jalapeno peppers are usually as hot as bell peppers, so go with serrano or go home.

I didn't get to eat too many tomatos but I did manage to save about 4 varieties of seeds. Better luck next year, huh?

Back