• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are you still growing your Garden?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except for the 2 bell pepper plants that are still green my garden is finished. This has been a terrible year for gardening. Way too Hot and dry! Even the Okra that's supposed to like hot and dry are already gone.Tap water is okay I guess but nothing beats rain water. I've heard it called "God's Miracle-Gro".

Finished sweet corn yesterday. Pulled stalks then spread lime and fertilizer and tilled that under, laid off rows and planted a late pea patch.

Banner year for this strange variety of raspberry that the birds planted some years ago.....
20220721_123203.jpg
20220720_111318.jpg
20220720_111326.jpg
20220717_182940.jpg

These are strange. Not as good as the wild black ones, "black caps," or the fuzzy red ones. They have a very, very, narrow window of just about ripe, ripe, turning to water. Picked to early, still bright dark red, they are a little tart/sour,,source,,, right in time they are a very dark red almost purple or maroon and sweet,,,, a few hours later they turn to liquid when you try to pick them.

I didn't manage to get boxes built or tubs purchased to plant what little I had hoped to plant. Maybe next year.

Attachments

• 20220719_184319.jpg
    20220719_184319.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 0
These days we're south of Lake Michigan.
Tomatoes are still making, squash is still making, bush beans, pole beans, egg plant, carrots, melons, potatoes, grapes, pears, peaches, onions and herbs.
I'm learning what works here and how best to do things.

Banner year for this strange variety of raspberry that the birds planted some years ago.....
View attachment 151093View attachment 151094View attachment 151095View attachment 151096
These are strange. Not as good as the wild black ones, "black caps," or the fuzzy red ones. They have a very, very, narrow window of just about ripe, ripe, turning to water. Picked to early, still bright dark red, they are a little tart/sour,,source,,, right in time they are a very dark red almost purple or maroon and sweet,,,, a few hours later they turn to liquid when you try to pick them.

I didn't manage to get boxes built or tubs purchased to plant what little I had hoped to plant. Maybe next year.
My dad waited on those with a reverance, called them wine berries and they made some very good wine.

With planting season well in the past and many growing seasons ending, I have a question regarding seeds for next year.
I never got to plant the seed packets I bought this spring. Never even opened them.
Will they still be good for spring 2023?
Is there anything I can do, some proper way to store them, to help ensure they stay good?

I don't remember either grandfather doing anything special with seeds. In fact I seem to recall seed packets kicking about on the porch and other places all year.

With planting season well in the past and many growing seasons ending, I have a question regarding seeds for next year.
I never got to plant the seed packets I bought this spring. Never even opened them.
Will they still be good for spring 2023?
Is there anything I can do, some proper way to store them, to help ensure they stay good?

I don't remember either grandfather doing anything special with seeds. In fact I seem to recall seed packets kicking about on the porch and other places all year.
I always put my extra seed in the freezer during the winter. Never had any trouble the next year with seed coming up.

We had a good growing season this year. I have been eating sweet corn on the cob and lots fresh tomatoes.

I always put my extra seed in the freezer during the winter. Never had any trouble the next year with seed coming up.

We had a good growing season this year. I have been eating sweet corn on the cob and lots fresh tomatoes.
I put mine in a Tupperware container in the veggie section of the fridge. I wouldn't call it doing anything special. I think the veggie section is a dehumidifier. Just keep them cool and moisture free and they should last at least 3 years (or more).

Oh I slip a glycerin packet in with them. But I doubt the real for it.The original package is fine.If they are already opened a film canister comes in handy.

Last edited:
I have a Moon Glow pear tree that is loaded with pears this year. Have so many have to prop up the limbs. Had one limb to break that was heavy with pears. First time in 7 years the frost didn't get the blooms.

My city 50 by 100 ft house and garage lot, garden consists of 5 5 gallon buckets planted with tomatoes, and one large “fish box” planted with egg plant. A flower box provides room for a few pepper plants.

This hot dry summer has played havoc with the tomatoes. Blossom end rot on a lot of the fruits. Just can’t keep them watered enough.

Back