• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Are you still growing your Garden?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
Are we going to have a thread on gardening this year? I'm sure some got started already. I did in a small way. Just 7 tomatoes and 6 squash so far.My garden is alot smaller than last year's.

Mine is going in the ground on Saturday. Wife has bought quite a few plants, more than last year.

What we cannot eat, we give to a lady who is appreciative of the veggies.

The ground is still a little cold but the days are warming up. The Oak trees are dropping leaves and I guess I'll be raking tomorrow. The leaves make a excellent mulch.

That church thing is where I plan on giving alot of my extras away. Though I really don't plan on on having alot of "extras" this year. My garden is half the size of last year's.The pecan tree shaded out some of it and Bermuda grass robbed me of the rest.

Hard to believe next week is April already . I should have had seeds in pots way over a month ago. This gardening season kind of snuck up on me.

I did something yesterday that I've never done before. I loaned my tiller to my niece's husband. I've always had a hard and fast rule about not loaning power tools. Maybe I'm getting "soft" in my old age?

I will have a garden this year, but it may well be my last. My tiller beats my aging bones to the point that my garden has shrunk three times in the last three years. I will wait until the middle of April to plant here in Arkansas.

My garden is about 20’ by 50’, with six rows. I put yellow onion plants and potatoes in the ground in early February. We had a late freeze that nipped the taters, but they have recovered. I have a row of yellow squash coming up. I’ve had difficulty getting seeds this year and last. I put in two rows of bush beans, one with fresh seeds from the little Burpee packets bought from the Homeless Despot and one of left over seeds from last year, I think from Peaceful Valley. Germination was very spotty with the Burpee seeds, and none even sprouted from the old stock. Very disconcerting. Gardening used to be a lot easier, I think,

My “cabbage patch” consists of six plants put in planter boxes last October. Cabbage is a winter crop in Florida. One-third of my crop (two heads) are about ready to harvest. All things considered, these probably cost me between $5 - $7 per head to produce, but I just wanted to have something growing. I’ve given up on tomatoes as a row crop, and now just concentrate my efforts on two tomato plants in big pots. We had reasonable success with this strategy last spring. Two jalapeño plants in pots produce more peppers than two people can consume, and I actually still have my two plants from last spring, now geriatric but gamely blooming and actually putting on a few pods.

We’ve been living on this place for about 33 years. The previous owner, apparently a Tolkien freak, had named the property “Lothlorien Farm,” with a big sign out front that eventually rotted and collapsed. I never replaced it, but I guess that name is as good as any.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Mine is going in the ground on Saturday. Wife has bought quite a few plants, more than last year.

What we cannot eat, we give to a lady who is appreciative of the veggies.

Mine is starting this weekend...,
We're still having problems with cold temps here..., I prefer not to risk a frost, so won't buy plants yet.
From the Seed, I start these in "starter cups" and use an inverted, translucent storage bin with some very small holes drilled, as my tiny "green house" (bricks on top to keep it from blowing away in the back yard). Works quite well.
Hope to harden the plants by tax day, maybe the end of April, and then into the actual raised bed.
I use DIY self watering planters for everything but the potatoes.

So from seeds...
Yellow Pear tomatoes
bush string beans
Cayenne Peppers
Kholrabi

From plants
Cherokee purple tomatoes
Wiri Wiri peppers (it's a Guyana pepper...wife is from there)
Bell Peppers
Green Onions (I just get them from the grocery store and then plant them and let them get big)

Red Potatoes....this is an experiment to see if I can get a good yield before I drop coin on an uncommon variety, doing container growing. Spent the last month reading up on this....

Oca ..., aka New Zealand Yams..., actually Incan from S. America, they look like gnarly potatoes but are more like a form of Jerusalem Artichoke.... another experiment...

OH and the wife wants Herbs, so I will get some basil, in plants, and do Dill and Thyme from seeds

LD

I'm trying a new variety (new to me) of tomato.It's been around a long time, one of the "heirlooms". Any of y'all had any luck with the Old German?

Well I got the lawn mower started. Too early for mowing but my wheelbarrow broke and I don't feel like fixing it. I'm using the little dump cart behind the mower to haul leaves. Got 4 carts of leaves in so far. Only 30+ more to go. That garden will be "mulched out"in a few weeks.

Mine is starting this weekend...,
We're still having problems with cold temps here..., I prefer not to risk a frost, so won't buy plants yet.
From the Seed, I start these in "starter cups" and use an inverted, translucent storage bin with some very small holes drilled, as my tiny "green house" (bricks on top to keep it from blowing away in the back yard). Works quite well.
Hope to harden the plants by tax day, maybe the end of April, and then into the actual raised bed.
I use DIY self watering planters for everything but the potatoes.

So from seeds...
Yellow Pear tomatoes
bush string beans
Cayenne Peppers
Kholrabi

From plants
Cherokee purple tomatoes
Wiri Wiri peppers (it's a Guyana pepper...wife is from there)
Bell Peppers
Green Onions (I just get them from the grocery store and then plant them and let them get big)

Red Potatoes....this is an experiment to see if I can get a good yield before I drop coin on an uncommon variety, doing container growing. Spent the last month reading up on this....

Oca ..., aka New Zealand Yams..., actually Incan from S. America, they look like gnarly potatoes but are more like a form of Jerusalem Artichoke.... another experiment...

OH and the wife wants Herbs, so I will get some basil, in plants, and do Dill and Thyme from seeds

LD

I bet the Wiri Wiri peppers are good!! Where did you get the plants?

Back