• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are there any Missouri Hunters Out There?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wanted to know how you all felt about MDC changing muzzleloader season to a anything goes hunt? I wish they would at least let traditional muzzleloaders have there own managed hunt. Everyone else gets there specific hunt catered to except traditional hunters. I would just like to see something where it was just side locks.

The air guns and the bows don't really bother me at all with it, but the handguns do. I might take my .44 mag out some but I still wouldn't shoot past 50 yds with it on a solid rest..
I know there are going to be yay hoos all over the woods taking shots at all ranges with their 9mm and .45 and .380s that can't hit the broadside of a barn.
I like the late season hunt but I wouldn't mind a traditional hunt in October.

I don't want to sound like traditional is all I do. I also hunt religiously with a compound bow, rifle hunt, and have inlines. I would just like to see a traditional only hunt. I just think they just cater to the urban masses and lost sight of what the season was made for. Also just look at all the managed hunts. They have a little of everything but a traditional ml hunt.

I brought this topic up last year and even contacted MDC. Their answer was to allow more people to able to use the late season. I just figured it was a money thing to help the economy. :bull: It doesn't effect me to much because I try to use my black powder for all seasons. Pappy

Oh I hear ya. I'm young enough that I honestly hunt with everything(compound, longbow, center fire, handgun, muzzleloader) and shoot as many deer as I can and make no apologies for it.
But I agree it would be very cool to have our own season just for the sidelock.. I still find the late season to be more relaxed.
They tend to group up and there's just something about holding a hawken in your hand in freezing temperatures and waiting for a fat doe :)

I agree. I hunt in Lincoln County, MO and have always had a fascination with traditional-style MZ for hunting. I own 3 sidelocks, including a flintlock TC Hawkin 50 cal. that I'll use next year when I hunt in NW PA after X-mas. You can only use flintlocks for that late MZ season.

Yeah, MDC really dropped the ball with this. As they have with so many issues in the last few years. We don't need more hunters, we need better hunters, period.If in the end that equates to more hunters then great. Economics be danged!!!! It is a well known fact that they are going to shove crossbows down our throat for the regular archery season, more than likely 2014. I personally don't want to shoot a deer with anything other than a primitive weapon. (longbow, recurve, flint or side lock) also has to be wood no crappy plastic stocks here.I would be happy if they would get ride of all modern firearms and compound arrow flinging devises from hunting during all seasons. I know I'm dreaming but this is just me. It's all about respect, and fair chase, I just believe that more modern methods lend themselves to unethical actions and disrespect for what should be a noble act.

Here in Tn they have opened Archery gear up to Crossbows ,even a set up on compounds that will hold your string at full draw and has a trigger on it like a gun.Ithink with muzzle loader use any kind of ML rifle ,still not clear to me abour ML Pistols.No such thing as primetive anymore.

That's the reason why I would like to see them dedicate one managed hunt to primitive and in that it mean cap & lock/ flintlock only hunt . Somewhere where everybody there has one thing in common and all appreciate what it takes to hunt with a traditional muzzleloader.

Back