• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aquafortis and bone/antler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm almost to the stage of applying aquafortis to my fowler!! Yay!! I inlet a bone thumbpiece in the the wrist to engrave my initials on. My question is will aquafortis stain the bone? Do I need to take it off befor I apply the aquafortis?

Thanks for the help!!

ZFYkIRE.jpg
[/img]

I did not get a before picture but this is what it looks like with the aquafortis application. As you can see it only discolored it a little. Bone was yellowish to start.

Hope this helps!

the link just takes me to a page full of places to sign up for imgur.

never mind, I see it now. problem musta been with my wretch-a-sketch.

good to know bit of information .... by the way, what species of bone is it? (i.e. deer, cow, etc.)

Thanks!

It is leg bone from an elk I killed. I pick up the bone several years later when hunting the area again.

I think the wax is a good idea! I think that will work well.

I guess the question is; what color do you want the insert to be at the end? I personally find a little yellowish tone to be more attractive than the bright white of freshly enameled teeth, or freshly shaped ivory. Gives it a more appropriate "vintage" or aged look. But the choice is entirely yours to make.

p1qVRFq.jpg

Here is what I have so Far. This is the second one I make and inlet. First one, the dogs decided was tastey, so they stole it off the bench.

Then I drilled the holes in the wrong place. Oh well it is what it is. Almost ready for aquafortis!

A potassium permanganate solution will age the bone till it looks very old. "Old bones was sold and that is what it is.

The actual was available years ago for water treatments. Bought 16 ounces of crystals from Sears 30 years ago still have 10 or more left.

I still have Iodine crystals about a full liter of them. Cannot buy anymore as they are forbidden by the .gov as they are called percussor making stuff.

aquafortis never colored anything other than woods for me.

I really like the use of natural products for stock enhancement. The grain in your stock is very nice too,should be a great combination.
Thanks for the testing and information you have found. It's so great to be able to find tips with pictures to go along with them.

Give that one to the dogs too. Make another one. Those holes being where they are are going to bug you forever. Another alternative to that would be to drill 2 MORE holes at the 5 o'clock and 11 o'clock positions to balance the ones that are off.

Col. Batguano said:
Give that one to the dogs too. Make another one. Those holes being where they are are going to bug you forever. Another alternative to that would be to drill 2 MORE holes at the 5 o'clock and 11 o'clock positions to balance the ones that are off.
I agree also :hmm: :v

Because bone and ivory are pretty much non-maleable materials, and somewhat brittle, it might behoove you to cut a new one that is made out of metal--brass or nickel-silver. Then you can pound and pound on it, and file on it until it's perfectly shaped and super tight. From there you just mate up the metal template with the bone and adjust the shape of the bone to match that of the metal template.

The one you have in there now looks a little "shaved" in the 9:30 o'clock to 11:30 areas. Is the reason the nail holes are off is because the drill bit "walked" on you? If so, you might think about drilling a very small pilot hole first witha bit in a pin vise in your drill press. Something really small, like a # 70 bit, and slowly increase the size until you get to your target diameter. Things like X-Y axis adjustable drill press vices are invaluable for that sort of very fine work. Mark your spots to drill with a scribe, and where the scribed lines intersect the drill bit will sort of "stick". With metal you can then just wang your punch with a hammer to make the dent. With bone you might have to start the hole with a hand-held pin vise first and give it a few turns to get the hole started.

With the muzzle cap on my current gun I threw 3 of them away before I settled on the one that's on it now. All sorts of reasons. I hated to toss out the work and start over, but in the end, I knew it was the right thing to do. With a project that takes a year or more to complete, I knew that sacrificing a couple more days' work on it was a drop in the bucket in the overall picture, and not fixing a fixable mistake because I got lazy I knew was one of those things that would shout at me every time I picked up the gun.

I probably should have done it again, but my time to work on rifles is limited. Better bits would be helpful to drill good holes, but alas I am a poor builder and my tools are used for many purposes.

I am happy with the way it came out considering my abilities and tools. The next one will be better, as with most things practice makes perfect and I am far from being there.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom!

So the holes are not in line. I would not scrap it.

Many who complain here should not as it does not help to say scrap an start over. Should say do better next time. I would take the rifle if you gave it to me no problem. Bet many others will too.

Back