• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bone stock Woodsrunner hunting rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I'd drop mine in here. Forgive the terrible photography, but not my strong suit. 54 cal Woodsrunner with extra fancy maple, Browned all the steel, used brass black rubbed back on all the brass and screw heads. Applied the yellow dye to stock first, then 2 coats of Aquafortis blushed out. Finaly about 4 coats of Permalyn sealer and 2 coats of wax. Going to be my whitetail and hopefully mule deer rifle.
7goFEbk.jpg
rrLwaiK.jpg
O3p4I8y.jpg
1mOQgmb.jpg

Anyhow, there are so much more talented folks here than me. Just thought this might be an encouraging post to those who are afraid to tackle one of Jim's kits. Take your time, file, sand, finish carefully and you will have a fine rifle. This one will be taking a lot of abuse in the woods, and will be a working rifle, so I didn't do any carving or embellishment. Also, I was lucky enough to obtain one of the carved kits to build as a "barbeque gun".

Doc

Last edited:
Yes sir, the Rit dye diluted with alcohol. I thought I had a good picture before the aquafortis, but after staining the stock yellow, I had an "OH manure" what have I done! I now have a bright yellow gun!! But it all turned out fine when I applied aquafortis.

Doc

Thought I'd drop mine in here. Forgive the terrible photography, but not my strong suit. 54 cal Woodsrunner with extra fancy maple, Browned all the steel, used brass black rubbed back on all the brass and screw heads. Applied the yellow dye to stock first, then 2 coats of Aquafortis blushed out. Finaly about 4 coats of Permalyn sealer and 2 coats of wax. Going to be my whitetail and hopefully mule deer rifle.View attachment 252197View attachment 252198View attachment 252202View attachment 252203

Anyhow, there are so much more talented folks here than me. Just thought this might be an encouraging post to those who are afraid to tackle one of Jim's kits. Take your time, file, sand, finish carefully and you will have a fine rifle. This one will be taking a lot of abuse in the woods, and will be a working rifle, so I didn't do any carving or embellishment. Also, I was lucky enough to obtain one of the carved kits to build as a "barbeque gun".

Doc
Be sure to seat that flint tight against the bolt :) Looks great!

Yes sir, the Rit dye diluted with alcohol. I thought I had a good picture before the aquafortis, but after staining the stock yellow, I had an "OH manure" what have I done! I now have a bright yellow gun!! But it all turned out fine when I applied aquafortis.

Doc
what was your dilution ratio? dye vrs alcohol ( i am assuming rubbing alcohol)

I did not measure, but I tried to eyeball about a 10:1 dilution. I had a can of denatured alcohol in the shop that I used.. Actually had forgotten I had it and stumbled upon it at the right time.

And forgive me James, I was wrong on my first response. It was Trans-Tint dye from Jim's website, not Rit dye......sorry.

Doc

Last edited:
That looks like a no-nonsense deer getter, Doc! Good luck on your hunts!

I like the whole rig, including the native-styled pouch and horn. I've seen photos of old horns with painted dots like that, and I'm pleased to see someone going with that style.

I like the idea of a flintlock "barbecue gun," too. Yours might be the only one in Texas! We'll be wanting to see some pictures, you know...

Best of luck to you, bud!

Notchy Bob

Back