• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Be sure to neutralize Aquafortis well and be careful removing barrels!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Be sure to neutralize Aquafortis well and be careful removing barrels!
I thought I had carefully neutralized the Aquafortis in my barrel channel twice! Apparently, not enough. Please note the minor pitting in one spot after throughly cleaning after initial range time and oiling the barrel. Note a huge deal, but I wish it wouldn’t have happened. Further neutralization now done.
Also, be very careful removing the barrel after pins are out. I’ve used the Mike Brooks method many times over the years but sadly, the barrel slipped and turned causing a crack in a newly finished stock. (Many thanks to Tim Williams on hints for successful nearly invisible stock repair).
Here are two hints for removing the barrel successfully!
#1. Slow down, think carefully and use Mike Brooks method.
#2. Replace your ramrod in the stock BEFORE removing the barrel. This adds extra strength and support to the stock during the barrel removing process especially with slender thin longrifle stocks.
See
youtube.com/watch?v=9uiKaBvKS10

Attachments

• 6C3C8054-CFD0-478D-A3F1-FDA6CAC440C4.jpeg
    6C3C8054-CFD0-478D-A3F1-FDA6CAC440C4.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 4
I never use AF in the barrel channel, tang inlet or anywhere there is metal. i usually coat these areas with a bees wax thinned with Lacquer thinner(had to go into the garage to find the spelling on that) :doh: senior momet.!
Yes! I didn’t either but a small amount of it bled around from the thin edge of the wood around top of the stock.

wow that's a long barrel and a skinny stock . That's how I take my Hawken barrel out

Jim Kibler shows removing the barrel with tang installed in one of his videos. He bumps the comb on the table. I like to lay it on it's side and gently bump the comb with a rubber hammer.

The tang is removed in the above video. Jim will tell you to leave it alone if you ask.

I think if you do it as shown above, with the tang installed you will bend the tang and maybe split the wood. At any rate be very carful the tang is very fragile on these rifles. On the several I have assembled I always loosen the tang inlet slightly. I do not want any finish or rust to cause problems down the road.

Please watch from time index 9.41

AF is a base stain that brings out the flame/curl/grain figure in a stock.
applied on a smoothly sanded stock, let dry, then heat,( called blushing) it turns from a baby poop green to a red/orange color.
still looks like you ruined the stock, until you apply a finish. it is like a transformation happens and the stock comes alive with stripes.

If you haven't used aqua fortis I suggest buying a piece of maple from Lowes or a similar store and use it for practice. Small pieces are not expensive and the stuff gives very nice results but technique is important. I use a heat gun for the heat source and by varying the distance and exposure time you can really get what you want with practice.

3 pictures of the stages of AF
the 3rd is with various stains that i dug out of the recesses of my paint shelf. none of which were as labeled! :doh: have a bad habit of a little bit of this and a little of that.
the lightest is plain birchwood casey sealer.

Attachments

• 20220718_163708.jpg
    20220718_163708.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220718_164008.jpg
    20220718_164008.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220718_173044.jpg
    20220718_173044.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
Back