• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone winter camping?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what happens when the jet stream starts to run north-south instead of east-west. Temps in the arctic right now are as abnormally warm as yours are cool.
It was just a joke making fun of all the global warming manure I know temps change and I do think global warming is real but is because the earth is coming out of a ice age the planet is going to warm up then go into another ice age everyone should be happy we are on the warming end instead of going back to ice age

Only time I winter camp is when I get an elk or deer tag up north in Az. I'm not an HC camper either. I take advantage of all the modern camping stuff I might need for a specific trip. Tent, cot big cold weather bag. Gas stove and good cookware. Modern warm clothing and boots. Only thing ancient I might use would be a BP gun. I'm going on a campout in a week or so down here in So. Az but it's not particularly cold, but I use the same gear except for a tent. I sleep out on a big cot and good bag. I hate the cold, that's why I moved here.

Only time I winter camp is when I get an elk or deer tag up north in Az. I'm not an HC camper either. I take advantage of all the modern camping stuff I might need for a specific trip. Tent, cot big cold weather bag. Gas stove and good cookware. Modern warm clothing and boots. Only thing ancient I might use would be a BP gun. I'm going on a campout in a week or so down here in So. Az but it's not particularly cold, but I use the same gear except for a tent. I sleep out on a big cot and good bag. I hate the cold, that's why I moved here.
Having been to Yuma for war games at various times of the year, I can attest that Yuma is great in the winter, not so much in August...

Nobody "sleeps on the ground" anymore, there are excellent insulated camping pads, these are required for any sort of cold weather. ThermaRest pretty much took over the industry for a short period in the 1980s with their self-inflating foam core air mattress. It's not often a new product takes the world by a storm like that, but it sure did.

Air mattesses (slightly under-inflated, to avoid bouncing around like a cork on the open sea) were very comfortable for camping, but offer no insulation from the cold ground. Standard cots, get the camper off the ground, but are also cold because of constant cold air circulating underneath. A good insulated sleeping/camping pad underneath you will make for a comfortable nights rest.

A lot of people (not you mind you) seem to think camping requires suffering and hardship, it just ain't so! It's a lot of work to go camping, and believe me I don't go if I'm not going to be reasonably comfortable even in extreme cold. It's actually the hot, humid nasty summer weather than bothers me the most.
Ah I sleep on the ground when treking. I make a bed of litter. At an event there is often hey or state to make a bed, I am thinking of making a pallet bag..... though I might put it around foam rubber as I’m two years older then the dirt I camp on

DADC07F0-C5B1-457F-A69E-3767D2950FFA.png

Haven't had much of a chance to go out winter camping in the last couple of years. Some years, winter is the best time to go camping, especially if you can luck out and go on a week end when there's no chance of sleet or rain; no bugs to annoy you.

There used to be a winter encampment event at Ft. Osage some years ago, Those were fun. The idea was to pack your knapsack, rations, etc., hike down to the Missouri River, camp out over night, and then march back to the fort next morning.

It was-11 here this morning. I was glad to be the house where it was nice and warm. 30 degree weather would be fine though.
Yup. I can remember back a few years ago when the winter encampment at Ft. Osage was actually cancelled because the overnight low was predicted to be somewhere on the minus side of 0. Sure does make you wonder how those Canadians coped with winter back in the 18th and 19th centuries. Why this week end's weather would be like child's play to Alexander Mackenzie, I think

Ah I sleep on the ground when treking. I make a bed of litter. At an event there is often hey or state to make a bed, I am thinking of making a pallet bag..... though I might put it around foam rubber as I’m two years older then the dirt I camp on

Well sure, but in the parks and high traveled designated wilderness campsite areas they discourage cutting boughs and denuding trees in the old woodcraft ways. The foam ensolite was a standard for quite a while, but wasn't exactly super comfortable. ThermaRest was a revolutionary design for hikers. Conduction, from cold ground, will really cause problems even with a good sleeping bag.

It's funny I'm young enough when I bed down at night. . . but I too wake up older then the dirt I camp on.

Looks like several million folks in and around Texas are "winter camping" right now, though maybe not planned.

I saw someone online in a forum who was complaining they couldn't make coffee (among other things) Who the hell can't figure out a way, who doesn't have a plan to boil water without electricity? Just off the top of my head there's easily 3 or 4 ways to get 'er done at my adobe hacienda. What do you tell your wife and kids?

Who the hell can't figure out a way, who doesn't have a plan to boil water without electricity?
You aren't seriously asking this question are you?

They, are legion. They, far outnumber us. We are in the situation we are in her in this country now because there are so many of them. Reliant on government, reliant on electricity, reliant on the system, on 911, on someone else always being there to tell them what to do and not do, how to do it, when to do it, reliant on others to raise their kids.

Another good reason to go camping,,, and take your kids.

A lot of people (not you mind you) seem to think camping requires suffering and hardship, it just ain't so! It's a lot of work to go camping, and believe me I don't go if I'm not going to be reasonably comfortable even in extreme cold. It's actually the hot, humid nasty summer weather than bothers me the most.
Exactly we "Smooth it" we don't "Rough it"!

Well I got out yesterday. Went solo. I just got home a little bit ago, It's was on the cold side 15F ( -9.4 C) for the low. Snowing and a light wind.
There was 12-15 inches of snow on the ground when I started ,a few more by the morning.

https://rumble.com/ve1rx3-tent-camp-weather-moves-in..html

I found a Good tree that blocked enough that my tent was only on a few inches of snow. Two blankets weren't enough, so I hiked back the short ways to the truck and grabbed my emergency wool blanket, 3 wool blankets really weren't enough either, but the 3rd did make it so I could at least doze off from time to time.

I had a foot slip out of the blankets and had to sit up and rub the blood back into it about 1AM (had lost feeling in 3 toes.) The surplus tent did fine, but I broke 3 stakes in the frozen ground.

The little fold up "Fire Pit" worked well and required little wood, yet gave off some heat & boiled water quickly.

I didn't use my tent fly due to the broken tent stakes, things might have been warmer had I been able to :dunno:

It's an odd sensation when you camp ON snow, it is more comfortable then the hard frozen ground, but every time you move it makes that cold snow sound (kind of a Styrofoam squeak) and dents in a little.

IMG_3561.JPG

Back