• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone winter camping?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just didn't get it done in Winter 2019/2020, Really starting to feel like, I need to drag my overly large rear-end out winter camping this year.
I was wondering if any of you has made it out to camp in the snow yet this winter?
More than one day?
Traditional camp?

A rendezvous friend and myself plan on doing a small game camp and hunt in a few weeks. Going traditional with canvas tent and period garb. Bringing a camp stove so we're cheating just a little. Looking forward to it. Hopefully bag some rabbitsnand squirrel.

I just didn't get it done in Winter 2019/2020, Really starting to feel like, I need to drag my overly large rear-end out winter camping this year.
I was wondering if any of you has made it out to camp in the snow yet this winter?
More than one day?
Traditional camp?
In my early years of muzzleloading I remember a very fun winter overnight camp and shoot. NOT anymore for this old man! My electric blanket does not have a long enough electrical cord! (LOL)
Go for it if you still can.

Like so many other State’s, most of the summer rendezvous/mountain man gatherings in my part of the country were cancelled due to Governor’s locking down their State’s, but it looks like we will be having a winter rendezvous this January at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM. I’ll attach the flyer for anyone who might be interested in joining us:

Attachments

• B729BDA4-F08F-45CA-8702-F233DC61A8C0.jpeg
    B729BDA4-F08F-45CA-8702-F233DC61A8C0.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 176
Last week of jan first of February I’m off and will take a couple of days in Busiak mo for treking.
Was a vacation schedule, was going to Colorado for grand daughters marriage, but her plans got canceled and they got married in Arkansas over thanksgiving. Now with the Kung flu my job quarantines me for two weeks if I leave the state, so I couldn’t go anyway. Still had to work over thanksgiving.
But.... a camp in the tall timber will go a long way to boost some sprits

Like so many other State’s, most of the summer rendezvous/mountain man gatherings in my part of the country were cancelled due to Governor’s locking down their State’s, but it looks like we will be having a winter rendezvous this January at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM. I’ll attach the flyer for anyone who might be interested in joining us:
I would love to go being only 3 1/2 hours away but this year is a bad year for that, too much I have to get done including not having a proper Mountain Man outfit, all my stuff is too early or too late.

I have not but do plan on it. I have a 10x10 wall tent with woodstove and i just got an 8x8 oilskin tarp from the Tentsmith. We’ll see what happens but i know the wall tent will be warm as all heck!

I would love to go being only 3 1/2 hours away but this year is a bad year for that, too much I have to get done including not having a proper Mountain Man outfit, all my stuff is too early or too late.

I wondered about that. I see from the flyer in addition to the period correct area, they also have what's called a "Rowdy" camp. Also, generators are allowed. I don't care for those too much, not overnight, but it sounds like they let "normal" camping. I have a wall tent, stove, and all the accoutrements. I'd sure like to get out some. 6,800 feet in Jan/Feb can be "interesting".

I wondered about that. I see from the flyer in addition to the period correct area, they also have what's called a "Rowdy" camp. Also, generators are allowed. I don't care for those too much, not overnight, but it sounds like they let "normal" camping. I have a wall tent, stove, and all the accoutrements. I'd sure like to get out some. 6,800 feet in Jan/Feb can be "interesting".
Eons ago I used to do a lot of hiking and camping up in the Colorado Rockies, spring camping is "interesting", you can wake up, make breakfast while the snow moves in, dumps a foot of snow on you in a couple of hours then it's mostly gone by mid afternoon with bright sunshine and temps in the 40s and 50s. It's fun trying to boil water at those altitudes without the use of a blast furnace........ :D
My house is in the Sandia Heights at 5600 feet. An hour ago the Sandia's tops were shrouded in snow clouds and we had flurries down here, now the clouds are gone and it's warmed up 3 degrees........

Yep, camping for sure! No rendezvous here anymore so just camping. Actually, I just got home from an overnighter a few hours ago. I tried to make it as primitive as I could as I was with a few friends who are new to this whole muzzleloading stuff. We shot my Trade Gun, started fire with flint and steel, tossed a tomahawk a little and got a little cold last night! We all had fun and hopefully encouraged a few friends to get more into this “re-enacting“ (?) business!

So can anyone confirm there is a "normal" camping area for us "civilians"? I see they have a "Tin Tipi" area for the hard side campers &c.

Just like to pitch a tent and hang out with like minded folks.

We did a small game hunt and camp last weekend. It was cold but we stayed plenty warm with the tent stove. Kicked up a bunch of rabbits, and got 2 of them with flintlocks.

Attachments

• 20210123_114800.jpg
    20210123_114800.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 185
  • photo0(2).jpg
    photo0(2).jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 20210123_175646.jpg
    20210123_175646.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 20210123_123019.jpg
    20210123_123019.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 179
Half way between Council and McCall, Idaho we set camp for a deer hunt. When we woke next morning our bananas were frozen solid … in the ice chest. It was a bit nippy :rolleyes: Polecat

Back