• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone winter camping?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You all are making me feel bad, 😞
I still haven't gotten out. . .maybe this weekend.
Ever since my last Dog past away, it just seems so hard to get up the motivation to get everything together and actually get out there.

Good on so many of you for getting it done. 👍

Sorry to hear about your dog,They are like family and hard to let go , keep him in good memories and remember all the great times you had with him. I bet there is a pup near you somewhere waiting to hit the trail.

Did a overnite hike in trip a couple weeks ago with my 18 yr old boy and a couple friends. Seen elk, deer, weren’t no fish in the creek, I know, I went in lookin for them, but the kids got to see how not to cross a creek right before hiking in on a winter camping trip. I can always serve as a good bad example. Got to camp after I walked myself about half dry, set up my custom made king size bed sheet tarp in a plow point config, and built a small fire to dry me off a bit more while the boys were working on the community fire. All the wood was wet, including the dry stuff. Coldest fire I ever stood by once they got it going. My little personal drying fire wouldn’t stay small, wood was too wet. Had a good time and would have gone again last weekend but my wife busted her ankle.

Did a overnite hike in trip a couple weeks ago with my 18 yr old boy and a couple friends. Seen elk, deer, weren’t no fish in the creek, I know, I went in lookin for them, but the kids got to see how not to cross a creek right before hiking in on a winter camping trip. I can always serve as a good bad example.

Showing people how NOT to cross a creek has been a life long endeavor. Over the years I've shown people how not to cross on wet logs, slimy Rocks, even how not to jump a creek on a horse. . . .

Showing people how NOT to cross a creek has been a life long endeavor. Over the years I've shown people how not to cross on wet logs, slimy Rocks, even how not to jump a creek on a horse. . . .
It takes a special breed of man to selflessly insure other people learn how to stay safe and comfortable, yet gain comprehension of the gravity of some simple mistakes. Kudos to you for selflessly building others up in the art of woodcraft. 👏🍺

AB048A70-BE60-4848-9BB0-AD56186C0273.jpeg

259AAB4E-F4A7-4E1E-B53D-B74B3865C3D0.jpeg

It doesn’t always turn out so well....

I had planned to at this time but several events happed in the last couple of weeks that spoiled my plans. However I did get on a treking/scout.
Light rain, 38 degrees a bit of a wind, but good time for sure
Think I found tgat valley Heston/Bill Taylor was looking for, beaver as many as stars in the sky....or at least one😊
Built a little fire, had some coffee and a smoke
DE6EA026-EE85-4586-90AD-C9F2D6A8BCE7.jpeg
346205A1-EC6B-422F-A76A-696041CDF720.jpeg
1C63D8E2-4368-489B-A177-58E7D3EAC823.jpeg

I am winter camping right now a foot of snow on the ground, colder than a witches' (well you know) Just put another log in the fire place got a 85 lb. lab laying on my feet and the camp woman is on the tele. Pretty nice set up..

good Old Frozen Butt!!!
that Rondezvous up by Frankfort can be a challenge.. we lived in Frankfort for 5 yrs while my dad served in the Methodist Puplit.
Good times, and I still like that area of Kansas.

Rotator repair says NO WAY this year!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

good Old Frozen Butt!!!
that Rondezvous up by Frankfort can be a challenge.. we lived in Frankfort for 5 yrs while my dad served in the Methodist Puplit.
Good times, and I still like that area of Kansas.

Rotator repair says NO WAY this year!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
Supposed to be around -5F each night 😳

Yeah! Glad I did it when it was wet. I’d of had a harder time educating the young’ uns on the finer points if the crick was froze.

Started getting the gear together, my youngest (now 30 😲 MAN!! time flies) wants to go camping too.
For Christmas I got us each some surplus equipment (not HC for the 1870s but maybe the 1970s)
Anyway hope to go next weekend. . . . so expect it to snow 🥶

Here is the surplus tent set up in the yard with my home made oil tarp as a fly

IMG_3522.JPG

How about one in Minnesota right now, could be fun. lows around minus 15 high about minus 2, and that is with out wind chill.

I do believe I'll stick to winter walks, not equipped to camp out, and too much of a wuss.

Well that's the key, having adequate gear. Extreme cold is deadly, no matter how tough anybody thinks they are. Although Lewis & Clark reported the Injuns in North Dakota playing a type of Lacrosse or somesuch, naked in -10 below zero temperatures. Hm.

Well anyway ... with the right equipment winter camping is very rewarding, not uncomfortable (for the most part) and actually has a lot going for it. No bugs for one thing. No goofy people stinkin' up the place - likely have most any campground all to yourself. Camping to most people is strictly a summertime activity. In some ways (or at least some locales), I believe it is the absolute worst possible time to sleep outside.

Back