• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone Know?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Local auction house has an Alfred Peterman .62 cal smoothie flintlock that appears to be unfired by the looks of the flash hole and pan pictures. The gun looks mint. Anyone have any idea who or what an Alfred Peterman is, or was? The gun looks well made as far as fit and finish from the pictures.

From photos it doesn't look particularly well-fitted, but likely everything works and a decent buy for under $350. Message the auctioneer and ask if details are available, like age and if the consigner shared any other details.

Attachments

• Knh0teoRZw6EwnYW6Wt-DGo3.jpeg
    Knh0teoRZw6EwnYW6Wt-DGo3.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • TusnQiu73sfbEl1P85gip0fY.jpeg
    TusnQiu73sfbEl1P85gip0fY.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
  • KhoBcZhJqqhYcGJhSl1Ccq7T.jpeg
    KhoBcZhJqqhYcGJhSl1Ccq7T.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 0
That smoothbore would probably function Okay. But it seems as if the builder didn't do a lot of work to make the parts work together. A round barrel is mated to an octagonal breechplug. The ramrod is poorly aligned from the barrel into the stock. The trigger and trigger plate don't seem to align. There's just a lot of things I observe that I think that I would pass on the purchase of that smooth bored gun even for the value of the parts.

For $200-$300 I’d buy it and redo it if the breech plug fit is good by matching the shape it to the barrel and rework the stock to a cheap shooter. Looks like someone’s beginner work without much information or guidance. It might be from the 70s to early 80s when finding building information was less accessible.

The flash hole looks a bit too high. Supposed to sit on the imaginary line drawn across the flats of the pan. It definitely sits above this line.

I liked the price, but from looking at the stock layout, it appears to have quite a bit of drop at the heel for a smoothbore. If that's the case you may experience increased felt recoil, It could also result in vertical muzzle climb (or flip). Depending on how or whether your cheek welds correctly to the comb of the buttstock, it might become uncomfortable to shoot. My 2 cents worth...

Glad you passed. I bought it and it shoots great. L&R lockset. First 5 shots in black at 50 yds with 2 in same hole. 70 grains powder kicks but not terrible. Trigger stiff but hasn't been shot much. Will use it this deer season after I practice with it more.

Back