• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1847 Nippes Reconversion Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought an1847 Nippes flintlock It is a very clean gun with great marks. I know that most of these were obsolete when then left the factory and were-converted for percussion service almost immediately. I also know they were a popular gun to re-convert. There was one screw on the pan that was suspect but other than that screw, everything on the exterior looks ok. The fit of the pan is a bit off but in researching pictures of "correct guns" I've seen similar fit. I have also seen frizzen springs that are short like mine and ones that wrap around the pan. The jaws of the hammer are stippled and have been in the leather a long time. When I took the lock out, the questionable screws hole has been filled and tapped, another bad sign. The last notch on the tumbler has been repaired. Take a look at the pictures and share your expertise.

Attachments

• Nipopes Touch hole.JPG
    Nipopes Touch hole.JPG
    976.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Nippes Barrel Proof.JPG
    Nippes Barrel Proof.JPG
    400.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Nippes Lock Front.JPG
    Nippes Lock Front.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Nippes Lock Interior.JPG
    Nippes Lock Interior.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Nippes Pan and Frizzen Spring.JPG
    Nippes Pan and Frizzen Spring.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Nippes Pan.JPG
    Nippes Pan.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Nippes Suspect Brass.JPG
    Nippes Suspect Brass.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Nippes Suspect screw 2.JPG
    Nippes Suspect screw 2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
If it is a reconversion, it was very well done!

I can't see any evidence of re-filling around the touchhole in the picture you provided... or on the top of the barrel for that matter. The frizzen spring doesn't give me any redflags - it may not be the original spring from the factory, but those exterior springs are often one of the first things to get and get replaced. The frizzens, frizzen springs and top jaw screws really. It may have a few period and modern repairs over the years, but looks like it's in original flint to me, despite the replaced screw.

My concerns are the pan fit which has the replace and retapped screw, I can find nothing that indicates the touch has been redone, I pulled the barrel last night and found the name shown in the picture in the stock channel. I am guessing the E, Fisher found a gun and restored it. There is evidence of cleanning but the inspector marks I can find indicated one gun. The frizzen freckling doen't match the freckiling on the breech. Thanks for the response.
P1010028.JPG
Nippes Pan Top (2).JPG

Back