• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using .390 RB in my ASP new model navy "1858 remington navy"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a fondness for santa barbara 1858 remingtons. I have 2 unfired though they will be.
My love for them made me want a smaller frame .36 remmy and from my research the closest I could find in size is a old ASP.
I managed to score a new Lyman unfired made by ASP remmy in .36.
It looks more like a beals and is much smaller then my .36 pietta.
Oddly enough a .375 ball and conical drop to the bottom of the chamber. A colt conical fits and stops at the driving band.
A .380 ball I can push half the ball in with thumb pressure.
I just ordered a .390 round ball mold from eBay to ensure a tight fitting ball.
Chamber to bore alignment is perfect on this gun as well.
Its literally a masterpiece made far better then my uberti or pietta.
Does anyone else shoot .390 ball in your .36?

Measure the diameter of all of the cylinder mouths to determine the diameter of the soft lead round ball that you need, Measure the diameter at the mouth and about half a ball diameter in the cylinder. Once again I get to emphasize that digital Vernier calipers are necessary tool for this hobby.

Measure the groove-to-groove diameter of the barrel as well.

Based on the loose fit of the 0.380 in @Blackpowderwarrior's revolver, a 0.390 or 0.385 caliber soft lead ball may be required.

Last edited:
Measure the diameter of all of the cylinder mouths to determine the diameter of the soft lead round ball that you need, Measure the diameter at the mouth and about half a ball diameter in the cylinder. Once again I get to emphasize that digital Vernier calipers are necessary tool for this hobby.

Based on the loose fit of the 0.380 in @Blackpowderwarrior's revolver, a 0.390 or 0.385 caliber soft lead ball may be required.

I won anew old stock Lee .390 rb mold so when she gets here I'll cast a few up

Latest posts

Back