• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone know what this is?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiley1

32 Cal
Reaction score
A friend of mine has this flintlock that belonged to his father-in-law and he has no idea what it is. It is about 6' long and from what I can see it says "made in Belgum" on the barrel. I have never seen a lock like this. Anyone have any ideas of what it is? I have not physically seen the gun, just these pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
My guess would be a cheap Belgian trade gun for the African trade. What you have is essentially a back-action lock for operating the cock, with a separate plate for the pan, frizzen, and feather spring.

Dixie Gun Works used to sell an authentic Belgian “Elephant Gun,” in 4-gauge smoothbore, with a two-piece lock similar to that. I’m pretty sure it was Belgian.

Thanks for showing this interesting gun! The nicer arms get most of the attention, but guns like this are also an important part of muzzleloader history.

Notchy Bob

Thank you all for your reply. I noticed I put this in the wrong forum and I apologize for that. I don't know how to move it to the Flintlock forum.

It is a very interesting gun for sure. As you can see in the picture the barrel is very long. The guy holding it is 5'-10" tall. I messaged him to see if it is a smooth bore.

Attachments

• blurred.jpg
    blurred.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 0
I have one! A Belgian MISH-MASH of parts they are! They were the World's MASTERs at taking old parts and throwing them together!

I'd bet $$ the stock the OP posted began life as 'something else', possibly a matchlock ... as look at the rectangular inlet ahead of the flint lockplate that it now wears.

Mine is a 54-cal barrel, quite thin across the flat for what a 'modern' 54 would be nowadays. I also believe it to be of those African Trade Guns.

These were put together using old back action percussion locks, but with a separate pan section with frizzen and spring. The percussion hammer was replaced with a flint cock. Why? The African tribes had a difficult time getting percussion caps, and the colonial powers didn’t want them to have them anyway. Belgian gunmakers took any old guns and parts they could find to bang up trade guns,they were a big business for a while. This gun never was a matchlock. They are fun to shoot if they are in good condition.

Latest posts

Back