• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any SxS trap shooters out there?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's at a gun club so I have no control. My brother is a member maybe he could make a request to slow down a course for us.
They are wary about MLs there and only let me shoot in one place. It's kinda smack dab in the middle of a bunch of neighborhoods.
That’s why I quit my club. “ he’s too slow!” Or “ it’s not safe!” “ too loud!”

That’s why I quit my club. “ he’s too slow!” Or “ it’s not safe!” “ too loud!”
Yeah I kinda laughed when they told me they were worried about where I was gonna load "same place as everyone else?"... it's like dude the first person in danger if I have an accident while loading is gonna be me lol.

The best thing for you to do in my opinion is to learn how to shoot a shotgun properly. You don't aim it like a rifle you point it like you would your finger - don't look at the bead - look at the target and open BOTH eyes when you are shooting. You MUST practice this to get good at hitting flying targets. Like others have already said your shotgun must fit you so when you raise it up to your shoulder your cheek comes in contact with the stock and your eyes sight down the barrel and automatically point at the target. ALWAYS look at the target not the bead of the shotgun and KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN ON THE STOCK - do not look up and lift your head away from the stock. Once you lift your head off the stock you will miss the target EVERY TIME! Get yourself a GOOD book on trap or skeet shooting from an EXPERT trap or skeet shooter - I recommend Kay Ohye's trapshooting books. He is one of the ATA's hall of fame members and a personal friend of mine for MANY years -since the early 60's. <https://traphof.org/inductees/details/1/124-ohye-kay>
I've been hearing that forever. Experts say that. I could never make it work. Hitting is hitting and I can only do so by using the bead. I can't lead properly without it. I have no problem on actual birds, quail and grouse, which is the only use I have for a shotgun. But that's just me. I envy those who can consistently break clays. I can't relate clays to hunting.

I shoot skeet with most of my SxS. I really started testing myself this winter with the 16ga flintlock made about 1890? I was using sheep wool as wadding that is what you see in the video. I miss a lot but hit enough that I wouldn't go hungry if hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_8009.MOV
    26.4 MB
okay good to know.... I've been looking at older percussion shotguns honestly id like a 38" fowler but money doesn't grow on trees. guess I've always wanted to learn to gunsmith so i may get my opportunity. Any advice on scalping a nice gun from an antique auction? i see a bunch out there with guns that look okay but I'm not an expert by any means i wouldn't even know where to begin picking out a nice old shotgun other than looking a price and what the seller tells me :/

Talk to Brit.

He’s owned Pedersolis and has put a lot of rounds through them.

I shoot sporting clys and skeet with Pedersoli 1970's SxS, and also for bird hunting and bird dog training. Trap, I've had trouble with, it's pretty far out for low gun shooting. I've used winchester SL wads successfully, either pink or gray, the clay busters SL are cheaper and work the same, I can get 16 rounds per barrel between cleaning. Those Pedersolis are stocked high, which is generally good for the rising target that you get in trap.

I have shot a lot of trap and skeet a long time ago ,for trap I found that the original single barrel percussion live pigeon gun the best has these gun were specially built for trap shooting very straight and came in all bore sizes from 4 to 12 .
Feltwad
P1010001.JPG

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    776.9 KB · Views: 1
Havent read thru the whole thread....

But have you patterned the gun? And seen where the shot is landing in relation to the bead and your point-of-point (you point shotguns, not aim them right?)

I ask because a buddy was going nutz with his Pedersoli trying to do some turkey hunting. He finally shot at some wrapping paper and discovered the left barrel shot about a foot and a half down and left from point-of-point and the right barrel was shooting about a foot and a half up and right from point-of-point..... some practice and clear thinking might make that doable for turkey hunting, but no way in heck would I think I could be successful at trap or skeet

Back