• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any New Ideas for Movies?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a movie based on the Stephen Ambrose book "Undaunted Courage" about Thomas Jefferson and the Lewis and Clark expedition to explore the West?

How about, Washington,Adams,Jefferson the first twenty years on the frontier. Anything on the war of 1812.A movie on the early fort factory system.

Johnny Tremain. Good book, I believe geared towards a younger audience, :hmm:. That would be a good movie for the beginnings of the revolution.

Johnny Tremain. Good book, I believe geared towards a younger audience, . That would be a good movie for the beginnings of the revolution.

Walt Disney made that into a movie way back in the 60s. It is a good film for kids, not very accurate I would guess.

I would also like to see one on the beggining of the revolution, maybe one about the militia.

Now going off topic another one I would like to see remade is the 300 spartans

A popular thing in Hollywood in recent years is to make new versions of old movies. After trying to stay awake through The Mountain Men a few nights ago (I only lasted about thirty minutes), I was thinking a new version of that one would be cool. Younger actors that better fit the roles, a more interesting plot (maybe about the start of the fur trade, rather than the end of it), historically accurate, and none of that God-awful cheesy over-acting that severely afflicted the original movie.

A popular thing in Hollywood in recent years is to make new versions of old movies. After trying to stay awake through The Mountain Men a few nights ago (I only lasted about thirty minutes), I was thinking a new version of that one would be cool. Younger actors that better fit the roles, a more interesting plot (maybe about the start of the fur trade, rather than the end of it), historically accurate, and none of that God-awful cheesy over-acting that severely afflicted the original movie.

Yea, and they made it into a love story... :curse:

Real men don't want stinkin' love stories... :eek: :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, many of the movies are love stories...

Last of the Mohicans, Winterhawk, Mountain Men, Jeremiah Johnson, makes my skin crawl just thinking about all that mush...

Though Runningmoon is kind of cute... :winking:

walone1.jpg

Winterhawk
Never heard of that one. Is it a fur trade movie?

Yep...
196564.jpg

SYNOPSIS:
Blackfoot chief Winterhawk is ambushed while seeking a cure for the smallpox outbreak killing off his people. In return he kidnaps two white who eventually come to respect him, but there is a search party looking for them and no one what the outcome of this treacherous situation might be.

It has Dawn Wells in it... :winking:

DWells1.jpg

I would also like to see one on the beggining of the revolution, maybe one about the militia.

Me too :thumbsup:. Started reading Yankee Doodle, think that would make a good movie. But they'd have to throw in the obligatory sex scene as well as a few F-words to sell it. ::

History rewrite has the Spartans as stark raving homo's,so there's no tellin what hollywierd would do to it.

The most practical part of The Mountain Men was the geography. I think we have yet to see the perfect mountain man movie. The "lone trapper" doesn't do justice to the time period. I'd like to see a movie that gives a window into trapping companys, brigades, and exploration, showing it more as an organized occupation than a whim for free-spirits. Maybe there's one out there that I don't know about.

After renting Disney's "National Treasure" I have an excellent idea for a new movie. I thought this movie was excellent. Obviously, this movie's concept was based on ficticious secret activities of Mason's or Freemasons.

A new movie plot "Secrets of the National Treasure" or something to the like surrounding the secret creation of the "clues" and the storage of the artifacts that were the basis of the National Treasure picture.

The main characters would be Ethan Allen, Edmund Burke, John Claypoole, William Daws, Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock, John Paul Jones, Robert Livingston, Paul Revere, Colonel Benjamin Tupper, and George Washington.

It would be circa 17th and 18th century through and post the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the Revolutionary War.

I think this concept would be more interesting that the original.

I remember something like that from years ago. The movie was "Across the Wide Missouri" with Clark Gable. It was done back in the 50s so you can guess how accurate it was. At least they were not using Winchesters.

As I remember it was about a trapping brigade and had some of the elements of the Sublette-Mountain Lamb story and a take off on the Pierre's Hole fight. It was the first movie that I saw someone shoot the bad indian (Ricardo Montelban with a ramrod. It was a long time ago and that's about all I remember about it.

I liked National Treasure. I agree .... Something with the founding fathers and the questions/clues a movie like National Treasure raises. Some of the history was correct, I was told a long time ago about Washington and the masons,and how the first inauguration was a free-mason ceremony. GREAT IDEA...it would make a great movie. :m2c:

I would like to see a massive mini-series about the 1864-65 campaigns in Virginia by Spielberg and Hanks done in the same manner as "Band of Brothers". A straight movie would be nice, but to get everything in would make a movie too long. To me, "Band of Brothers" is no doubt the best depiction of war ever made. Stephen Ambrose wrote the book and he was probably the best at writing about the way it was at ground level, not only WW II, but earlier periods.

Gettysburg has been beat to death and not enough emphasis has been placed on the time covering the Wilderness/Spotsylvania campaign to Petersburg/Appomattox. The same can be said about the campaign leading up to Atlanta and the battle at Franklin.

I also would like to see some of Eckert's books put to film, such as "The Frontiersmen" and especially "Dark and Bloody River".

Yea, and they made it into a love story... :curse:

Real men don't want stinkin' love stories... :eek: :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, many of the movies are love stories...

Last of the Mohicans, Winterhawk, Mountain Men, Jeremiah Johnson, makes my skin crawl just thinking about all that mush...

Though Runningmoon is kind of cute... :winking:

walone1.jpg

Yes, there's somethin' about a hottie in buckskins :: On one of our long drives to hunting camp, my buddy and I jokingly came up with the idea of a 'black powder comedy" about the exploits of two modern age traditional hunters. :hmm: Then we came up with the idea of a flick called "Babes in Buckskins" :: :crackup: :crackup: I wonder what it would be rated? :hmm: :: :crackup:
The Commodore didn't think it was all so funny...

It has Dawn Wells in it... :winking:

DWells1.jpg

I had a crush on Mary Ann when I was a kid.
Finally got over it last week. :haha:

When we were kids, my brother and I used to argue over who we wanted to be stranded on a desert island with, Ginger or Mary Ann. Mary Ann was usually was voted #1. :thumbsup:

It would be intersting to see a movie based upon the capture of some whites by different Indian tribes, the way they were accepted into tribes, or perhaps their eventual demise. Or the complexities of the interactions of different tribes.

How about a movie about the revolution based upon the everyday affairs and complex comingling of colonlials and the King's men? There is a facinating book called "Redcoats and rebels" that describe the revolution from the British point of view. It is fun to read transcripts from letters sent home from "that place, America". Those that inhabited the colonies were considered dirty, uneducated, improper and socially beneath the upper crust of the Bristish society. Quite a few officers thought that a commission sent to the Amercan Colony was a detriment to their record, or a form of punishment. These "officers" could buy a commision based upon their families wealth and their status in social circles in England. Military training wasn't really necessary.

I thought the movie LOTM was good, but there are several conflicting stories occuring. If you read the novel by Cooper, you will understand that their were conflicts raging between different characters. The characters themselves had quite a bit of depth to them, as the book portrayed them.

Unfortunatly, the movie industry knows that the average attention span of sitting and watching a movie is about 2 hours max and they therefore must get the job done in a short amount of time.
I have a copy of my GGGGG Grandads application for pension from the US Army. He fought with GW in the first battle of the REV war and was later an indian "spy"(read scout) was captured and escaped. This app. is 4 legal pages hand written by his officer. The first time I read it I thought -- this is movie stuff. Wait a sec. I've got to go read it again--- :imo: :sorry:

Back