• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1983 “Rescued” Lyman GPR .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all!,
I finally made it to the range with my “rescued” 1983 Lyman GPR .54.
I had just installed a new front sight blade since the one on it was a completely hacked mess. I had no idea where it would hit at this point.
First time shooting it today at 25 yards, 5 shots. Not too bad for a bad eyed fat man. Then shot at 50 yards. I’m the first to say I’m not a good shot but I was relatively please with these. I do need to do load development. I used 65 grains of FFG, .015 pillow ticking, T/C bore butter and a .530 ball.
I purchased this last year and it turned into a disaster. You can see the story at

1983 Lyman GPR worm eaten mess.​

Anyhow, all is now well! I tried to have this look as if it spent many winters in the rockies, but not abused. The bore has very minor pitting in a few grooves about halfway down. This gun has definitely been shot but the rifling is clean and strong. I’m sure it will shoot much better than I can.
Thanks for looking!
Snoot

Attachments

• IMG_3120.jpeg
    IMG_3120.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3121.jpeg
    IMG_3121.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3122.jpeg
    IMG_3122.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have an older gpr in 54 also . Was my father in laws. I noticed mine didn't have the ramrod retention spring also. My other gpr 54 has a ramrod retention spring but I assembled it back in 05 so it's quite a bit newer maybe. I really like how you did yours. I need to redo my father inlaws.

Thank you! If you are doing a total refinish check out Bob Woodfill’s youtube video on his “Gemmer” rifle. He will explain how to make your rifle look much more like a Hawken by shaping the lock panels and cheekpiece correctly and removing the “fishbelly” of the stock to a straight line from the rear of the trigger guard to the butt plate. Investarms made the Lyman Great Plains Rifle and are now producing the Gemmer Hawken. It is essentially the same gun, different name. Good luck with your project. Woodfill's video was my guide to achieve a more authentic look.
Snoot

Last edited:
Thank you! If you are doing a total refinish check out Bob Woodfill’s youtube video on his “Gemmer” rifle. He will explain how to make your rifle look much more like a Hawken by shaping the lock panels and cheekpiece correctly and removing the “fishbelly” of the stock to a straight line from the rear of the trigger guard to the butt plate. Investarms made the Lyman Great Plains Rifle and are now producing the Gemmer Hawken. It is essentially the same gun, different name. Good luck with your project.
Snoot
I'll have to check that out. The more I look at yours the more I like it.

Beautiful job. The appearance is as you described it.
What did you make the ramrod tip of? It doesn't look like brass to me. If it is your aging worked well.
Thanks.

Nice wood on that rifle! A better patch lube will help with repeated shooting

Mix up 40% Dawn and 60% water. That is the best lube around, I use it exclusively. That patch is nearly dripping wet when I load.

Beautiful job. The appearance is as you described it.
What did you make the ramrod tip of? It doesn't look like brass to me. If it is your aging worked well.
Thanks.
Thank you for your kind words. The ramrod tip is brass. It was highly polished and buffed to remove any new looking sharp edges, then brought down to age with Kibler's "Jax Black" and a few times at the range. I did remove all of the Italian markings by careful draw filing but saved the "Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Middlefield Connecticut 54", the serial number remains with the "PN" and proof marks.
All other warnings and Investarms markings are gone. The date code in its box is also gone but I engraved the date code on the barrel bottom well out of sight. All newly bright steel due to the filing was polished and rubbed down with the above Jax Black. It is not the best rust protection but does add years to the gun's appearance. I did not remove all of the minor stock bumps since they add to the aged appearance I was looking for the rifle.

Thank you! If you are doing a total refinish check out Bob Woodfill’s youtube video on his “Gemmer” rifle. He will explain how to make your rifle look much more like a Hawken by shaping the lock panels and cheekpiece correctly and removing the “fishbelly” of the stock to a straight line from the rear of the trigger guard to the butt plate. Investarms made the Lyman Great Plains Rifle and are now producing the Gemmer Hawken. It is essentially the same gun, different name. Good luck with your project. Woodfill's video was my guide to achieve a more authentic look.
Snoot
I saw that and I’m in the process of refinishing a .50 I bought off a fellow board member. I had one I had to sell about 15 years ago to help my son with legal troubles. (‘‘Twas worth it. He’s a Marine and has since triple majored). I was going to stop at browning the furniture (after Log Cabin shop repairs barrel “damage” done by the original owner), but after seeing the video, the stock modifications will begin in a few days. It’ll be my “congrats on completing radiation treatments” present to myself. Need to find a more correct sight for it however.
Interestingly, the serial number is only 4 digits.

Thank you for your kind words. The ramrod tip is brass. It was highly polished and buffed to remove any new looking sharp edges, then brought down to age with Kibler's "Jax Black" and a few times at the range. I did remove all of the Italian markings by careful draw filing but saved the "Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Middlefield Connecticut 54", the serial number remains with the "PN" and proof marks.
All other warnings and Investarms markings are gone. The date code in its box is also gone but I engraved the date code on the barrel bottom well out of sight. All newly bright steel due to the filing was polished and rubbed down with the above Jax Black. It is not the best rust protection but does add years to the gun's appearance. I did not remove all of the minor stock bumps since they add to the aged appearance I was looking for the rifle.
Thank you. Soaking up info & details. To my eye, you've done a very convincing job.
I re-enact, so having a new or relatively new appearing, used gun is logical, so I don't have experience w/ aging finishes.

Back