• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

And Another Kibler Colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that color really makes the stripes and wood carvings pop. I love the subtle yellow background. Gives the rifle a tint of elegance. Very nice job and looking forward to seeing it completed. I'm about 90% done. Just need to finish the sanding & final stages before staining. May I ask what products you used?......Labrat
The Antique Wood Stain by Laurel Mountain Forge in Maple color from Jim Kibler. I thought it was a unique color also, I also used bone black that Jim has. Have used other Laurel Mountain Forge colors. Thank you for your comment, and can't wait to see your finished gun...
Antique Wood Stain - 4 oz. Laurel Mountain Forge – Kibler's Longrifles (kiblerslongrifles.com)

Great I just ordered some from Jim along with the Iron Nitrate and Bone Black. The Laurel Mountain color chart doesn't show the yellow background only different shades of red. Any ways I'll try it out on my test wood and Jim's says I can dilute the stain to cut back on the red color. Thanks.........Labrat
d

Finished the lock. On to the side plate.
1636384422424.jpeg

Nice job Norman. You sure are good at polishing metals. All my metals are half done, Ha. I'm finally done with the stock and all metal work. This is as good as I can get it. I tested the Iron nitrate and Laurel Mountain Maple stain on a block of maple and it came out almost black. I believe I didn't allow the iron nitrate to completely dry out. After heating the nitrate it was almost black instead of a red green shade. I will try again tomarrow........Labrat

Nice job Norman. You sure are good at polishing metals. All my metals are half done, Ha. I'm finally done with the stock and all metal work. This is as good as I can get it. I tested the Iron nitrate and Laurel Mountain Maple stain on a block of maple and it came out almost black. I believe I didn't allow the iron nitrate to completely dry out. After heating the nitrate it was almost black instead of a red green shade. I will try again tomarrow........Labrat
Thanks labrat. It sure is a pain in the fingers. Not for sure on the iron nitrate as to what I could advise, bought some but never used it. The Laurel Mountain gets lighter, or at least it does for me, I use antique formula original oil finish which I apply and hand rub in which makes it lighten up.

Hooray! :thumb: and a handsome looking rifle Norman. I like your yellow golden finish and this is what I'm trying to achieve. I'm almost finished with mine but am having trouble with the stain finish and I may want to add a brass patch box as this side of the stock has some flaws & an area void of tiger stripes. I may have to post & ask for further help..........Congrats..........Labrat

Thank you labrat. Not for sure as to what brass patch box would be correct for it, but I'm sure that somebody has done one that knows.

Back