• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Amusing/Ridiculous Muzzleloading Misconceptions...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the 70's a friend and I were shouting at a slag dump we used as a range with our home built flintlocks when 3 guys showed up with their bolt action 30-06s. Of course they questioned the accuracy of our guns so Bob offered to put up some clay pigeons at 100 yds and asked them if they'd like to shoot for $1 a bird. They shot first, offhand, and got one out of 3. Bob put up 3 more, hit them all but declined to take their money. They were really surprised when we held our rifles upside down and fired them.

BOB. It's difficult really, the author is on about a Brit cavalry officer in "The American war" and relates the story and there is a reference to 1760 but it appears from previous pages that he is referring to an excellent rifle possibly made in Lancaster with a barrel weight of six pounds and a few ounces shooting a ball no larger than thirty six to a pound. Sorry if this is confusing, The book is English guns and rifles.

My father had been told that black powder gets unstable as it gets older, and can explode if it's dropped or shaken. I didn't know he believed that, so I never brought the subject up. Then while I was in the army, he came across a pair of antique powder cans I had in a cabinet (still containing powder). They were the oval red cans with the black & white paper labels. One was about half full and the other had never been opened. He emptied both cans down the toilet and then threw the empties in the trash.

For various reasons I got really good at remembering stories as a kid. Someone would tell a story to me and 3-4 years later they would tell it again, half way through I'd stop them and say something like "no, your messing that up, it was Rocko, that blue tic with half an ear that caught the coon under the wood shed not Trigger"

It was really funny when they didn't remember telling me the 1st time. . . . .They would have this o_O look on their face, like, how could this kid know that????
Now I'm getting older and can't even keep my own stories straight 👴
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. 😉

1760 That's what the book says!
Might want to get a new book. Last time I checked the Brits and Americans were shooting at the French in 1760, not each other. Your story sounds like the Col. Tarleton anecdote from approximately 1780.

"The million dollar question with flintlocks is whether they will fire when there is a deer standing in front of you. It makes you wonder how they survived 200 years ago when you were never 100% certain that your gun would go off when you pulled the trigger." o_O
They forgot to point out 200 years ago you hunted deer 365 if you wanted to.

I shot grouse with a Lyman 1858 revolver … at maybe thirty feet … and I missed many more than I hit … maybe 30% …. and I loved the hunt. Polecat

My father had been told that black powder gets unstable as it gets older, and can explode if it's dropped or shaken. I didn't know he believed that, so I never brought the subject up. Then while I was in the army, he came across a pair of antique powder cans I had in a cabinet (still containing powder). They were the oval red cans with the black & white paper labels. One was about half full and the other had never been opened. He emptied both cans down the toilet and then threw the empties in the trash.
You should tell him black powder really gets unstable when it's wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back