• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adding a rear sight to my fowling piece.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been thinking of adding a rear sight to my Fowler. I’m most likely going to order from from Track or muzzloading supply, is there a favorite one that you’ve used? Also would you solder it on or dovetail it? My tang screw has served as a rear sight for years.. my old eyes are needing somthing a little closer to the muzzle as of now. Any input is appreciated.

I like that, but it seems awfully high, I could file it down some I spose. I might have to get ahold of Clay Smith and see about one.
My next piece will be a fowler or trade rifle of some sort and like you I will need a rear sight further out to suit the type of hunting I do. Been keeping a sight like that in mind since I saw that thread.

I’m planning to do the same to mine, have one JBwelded on right now. I have a couple of narrow base sights from Track, just hadn’t gotten around to cutting the dovetail. Mine is octagon to round too. Be good to see the ideas that come up.

I’ve never used one, but cutting a notch is pretty easy. A three side file with one flat smoothed off finished them off quickly
You are correct. Except if you, in the process of filing down a safe side, forget which side you were filing while dunking it in water. I ended up with a triangular file with 1 1/2 safe sides! But it still works.

Currently the rear site on my Fusil des Chase is held in place with Loctite "Black Max" and it has held up for a few years.
I would prefer it to be dovetailed so windage could be adjusted, luckily I got it glued in the right spot first try.

20210623_094344.jpg
20210623_094331.jpg
20210623_094402.jpg

You could shape a small one like this out of a piece of brass stock. I wanted one that is small and placed far enough back to be slightly blury when focused on the front site for roundball shooting,,,, and easily ignored when wing shooting.

A Type-G trade gun rear site would also be a good choice, place about where they were on a Type-G.

You are correct. Except if you, in the process of filing down a safe side, forget which side you were filing while dunking it in water. I ended up with a triangular file with 1 1/2 safe sides! But it still works.
Yup, did that once; then someone told me to rub 2 flats with chalk and then grind off the flat WITHOUT chalk.

Currently the rear site on my Fusil des Chase is held in place with Loctite "Black Max" and it has held up for a few years.
I would prefer it to be dovetailed so windage could be adjusted, luckily I got it glued in the right spot first try.

View attachment 296256View attachment 296257View attachment 296258

You could shape a small one like this out of a piece of brass stock. I wanted one that is small and placed far enough back to be slightly blury when focused on the front site for roundball shooting,,,, and easily ignored when wing shooting.

A Type-G trade gun rear site would also be a good choice, place about where they were on a Type-G.
I mighy have some brass stock to make one. Did you make that one? I had originally asked for measurements.. but I actually won’t need them.

Last edited:
I was having trouble accurately shooting my Pedersoli trade gun until I added this small drop of JBWeld to the breach area. Made all the difference with round balls for me. I always intended to find something else, maybe dovetail in a sight, but this works, plenty solid and has been there for about three years. I understand the “traditionalist “ will be horrified, but it’s my gun , and I will do as I please. I guess I am just a “rifleman” at heart, I like rear sights when I shoot balls.
IMG_1368.jpeg

I was having trouble accurately shooting my Pedersoli trade gun until I added this small drop of JBWeld to the breach area. Made all the difference with round balls for me. I always intended to find something else, maybe dovetail in a sight, but this works, plenty solid and has been there for about three years. I understand the “traditionalist “ will be horrified, but it’s my gun , and I will do as I please. I guess I am just a “rifleman” at heart, I like rear sights when I shoot balls.View attachment 296551
That’s a good idea, however I’ll need mine down towards the muzzle more, most likely around 10 inches from the breech. I’ll test it all out first. I might solder it or I might dovetail it, I havnt decided yet.

I mighy have some brass stock to make one. Did you make that one? I had originally asked for measurements.. but I actually won’t need them.
No, I didn't make it. It came off my 1st muzzleloader. I had bought it used and it was (is) a mess and one of the things it seemed to need was new sights. I kept the old one.
I could probably get some measurements tomorrow afternoon.

Latest posts

Back