• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade gun rear sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Historically, did any have folding rear sights?
I mounted my little brass sight on my Fusil des Chase back far enough that it is kind of blury in my vision, just clear enough to tell if the fringe sight is centered in it when focused on the front sight. As such, it is pretty easy to ignore when target focused shooting and the rear sight isn't needed.

I mounted my little brass sight on my Fusil des Chase back far enough that it is kind of blury in my vision, just clear enough to tell if the fringe sight is centered in it when focused on the front sight. As such, it is pretty easy to ignore when target focused shooting and the rear sight isn't needed.
Does your fusil have the vnotch near the breech/tang like mine? I find it's enough to keep my left and right on the money and to be honest I think I'm okay at instinctively having the elevation consistent-ish. I just don't know if the vnotch would classify as a rear sight which I'm legally required to have for deer.

Does your fusil have the vnotch near the breech/tang like mine? I find it's enough to keep my left and right on the money and to be honest I think I'm okay at instinctively having the elevation consistent-ish. I just don't know if the vnotch would classify as a rear sight which I'm legally required to have for deer.
No, mine doesn't have a groove in the tang.

Not a folding rear sight but ..... When I went to the Museum of the Fur Trade a few years ago I was very excited to see my favorite Fusil de Chasse . I'd admired it for decades in pictures but was now going to see it for real . Two things , well three .... It was gorgeous ! You could still see the tool marks ever so slightly , weird , and ..... it had a rear sight added ! In pics the cock is in the way to see it ....the rear sight being right at the same spot your folding rear sight is . By the by ....a fusil or trade gun with a rear sight added is not called a smooth rifle .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230810-105601.png
    Screenshot_20230810-105601.png
    420.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230810-105512.png
    Screenshot_20230810-105512.png
    846.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230810-105440.png
    Screenshot_20230810-105440.png
    406.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230810-105426.png
    Screenshot_20230810-105426.png
    351.7 KB · Views: 0
Some smoothies did have rear sights. There is nothing wrong, or non-pc, about them. But, since the majority did not most clubs have rules that prohibit rear sights to make the competitive field more even. You would not be allowed to shoot that in matches at many events.

For those who think something that isn’t period correct is sacrilege, please move on.

I finished making a rear sight for my Pedersoli Trade gun & it was really simple. Posting here in case somebody else finds it helpful. The steel is just a piece of right angle bracket from the hardware store. I widened the hole to allow the tang screw to pass through. I then drilled another smaller hole for the aperture. I tested it out over the weekend to see where it was hitting on paper & check my group size. Satisfied with that, I then cut & shaped the rest to how I wanted it.

The first photo is the finished product. The second is my son shooting it this weekend with it attached as just a piece of right angle bracket with a couple holes drilled to see how it might work.

I went with a sharp point at the rear to help index it to a groove I had cut behind the tang. This way, when I clean it, I can hopefully realign it to get the same, rough, POI. Being able to remove it also leaves it free for wing shooting.

I’m still working on my flintlock skills. So small deviations in the POI are the least of my accuracy problems for now. But I’m satisfied with the results.

Hope somebody else finds this useful.
I've entertained the notion myself.đź‘Ź.
My only real concern is a lack of adjustment for windage.
I reckon a man could carefully slot the tang screw hole for left to right adjustment. And after getting it to hit POA, add a witness mark front an back to insure consistent alignment.
I do like the idea. And a peep sight is especially helpful with 61 year old eyes.

Some smoothies did have rear sights. There is nothing wrong, or non-pc, about them. But, since the majority did not most clubs have rules that prohibit rear sights to make the competitive field more even. You would not be allowed to shoot that in matches at many events.
One would need to enter it in " rifle" competition.

I've entertained the notion myself.đź‘Ź.
My only real concern is a lack of adjustment for windage.
I reckon a man could carefully slot the tang screw hole for left to right adjustment. And after getting it to hit POA, add a witness mark front an back to insure consistent alignment.
I do like the idea. And a peep sight is especially helpful with 61 year old eyes.
The tang screw is the pivot point for a windage adjustment. That's why I wanted the back of the sight to come to a point that I can use to index with a notch in the stock.

It is hard for me to believe that no one ever put a rear sight on a smoothbore. If your using a ball to hunt larger game it is just common sense that you would want a rear sight. Yes I know muskets didn't have rear sights but the guys using them weren't taught to aim them it was just load point and fire.

Herer's a historically correct rear sight for a trade gun. Carolina guns all had them when they were shipped from England.
Mr. Evil Mike Brooks,
I am assuming that you filed that rear site out of a piece of brass bar stock. Would you mind showing a photo of it from the top or front so I could perhaps try to copy.
Thank you.

It is hard for me to believe that no one ever put a rear sight on a smoothbore. If your using a ball to hunt larger game it is just common sense that you would want a rear sight. Yes I know muskets didn't have rear sights but the guys using them weren't taught to aim them it was just load point and fire.
It's likely that you never heard of the Museum of the Fur Trade at Chadron, Nebraska. Many of the smooth bored Trade guns have rudimentary rear sights that were installed in the year.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=museu...c=10-15&cvid=08962ad2b4bf45eaa7043b6bdf706fd2

Mr. Evil Mike Brooks,
I am assuming that you filed that rear site out of a piece of brass bar stock. Would you mind showing a photo of it from the top or front so I could perhaps try to copy.
Thank you.
It's cast from. An original I own. I sold all of the castings I had of it a couple days ago, I'll have some more in a couple months.

Latest posts

Back