• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade gun rear sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dug out a chunk of brass from the bin, filed out a basic sight, guesstimate the height. Temp instal with a drop of super glue,it ended op being very close to 50yd 0. That was a year ago, I have not found the need to change anything.

Attachments

• 20230811_171320.jpg
    20230811_171320.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230811_171403.jpg
    20230811_171403.jpg
    943.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230811_171459.jpg
    20230811_171459.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Can you let me know how to get one? I didn't see any sights on your web site. I think I would like to put one on my trade gun.
Pic of a rear sight block I just added to my personal NW today , I'll be sighting it in , windage , and filing it all down later , and another one from a gun I made a few months ago ...

Attachments

• IMG_20230329_171426.jpg
    IMG_20230329_171426.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230811-215705.png
    Screenshot_20230811-215705.png
    804.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Rob, thank you for the idea. I think I may give something like that a try.
No problem bud . Hope it works out for ya . I love a rear sight on.my trade guns . I'll just mark a line on the rear sight I put on today ...shoot it and see if I'm dead on or off to side of said line then cut straight down at appropriate spot with hack saw .... Minor adjustments with small files in the slot I cut ...after , then file down rear sight and or front to get appropriate height and elevation . The rear sight sitting on the flat is much easier ...just heat and move the block to one side or the other ,small adjustments can be with needle files too ....Afterwards barrel browning .....its a bit of work but rear sights are worth it , they really extended your range and even improve your shot placement at closer ranges ....for me at least , I'm no wing shooter so works better for mev

I dug out a chunk of brass from the bin, filed out a basic sight, guesstimate the height. Temp instal with a drop of super glue,it ended op being very close to 50yd 0. That was a year ago, I have not found the need to change anything.
Looks familiar,
20210623_094344.jpg
20210623_094402.jpg
20210623_094331.jpg

I used loctite "black max" (can't remember the number) and it has held for a couple year even with firing and temp changes. Temp changes were my bigger concern, I've seen dovetailed sights come loose due to different rates of expansion/contraction with temp changes, was concerned that thos could break the adhesive.

It is hard for me to believe that no one ever put a rear sight on a smoothbore. If your using a ball to hunt larger game it is just common sense that you would want a rear sight. Yes I know muskets didn't have rear sights but the guys using them weren't taught to aim them it was just load point and fire.
As said above we have plenty of examples of rear sights added to smoothbores, and many smoothbores that were built initially with rear sights.
However, we have to be careful when we ‘can’t believe’ something was or was not done.
Often people went generations before they said ‘ hey I got an idea’

👍
So maybe we should have some sort of proof or basis for our speculation?
Nah,,,, that can't be, 😆
😊
Yup a world of things we think and can’t prove.
Double edged sword, on the one hand experimental archaeology, what could they do with the tech at hand. The end there is steam punk
Or absolutely what you can document but that leads to so narrow that is just as unrealistic
Someone made the first riflemans shirt and wore it when they wernt common. HBC officer records patching a smoothbore as if it’s common knowledge, but it’s not documented before his casual recording it.
I invented short starters, coming up with the idea first time I ever shot. It was almost two years later I went to my first club event and saw other guys using my invention.
It was obvious to a seventeen year old kid, but how far back can we document them? And that begs a question how long used before documented.
And people tend to do things the way they did it. New and improved was looked on with disdain.
Hours used to be 1/12 of the day. A summer hour was longer than a winter. Uniform hours is a new concept.
TodY is 12 Aug but the idea of numbering days is new. A Roman would call today the day before the idys of august. And idys was the thirteenth some months and fifteenth in others
Huh
People went long times doing things that we do differnt without a second thought

saw a post recently can't remember where, getting old sucks it was about during the Napoleonic wars and the muskets that the British issued to some of there light companies. Part of the job of the light companies was as skirmishers. The muskets they were issued were shorter models of the Brown Bess and they had a rudimentary rear sight They were apparently actually teaching some of their troops to aim. There was a picture and the sight looked very similar to the ones shown on here. Have to believe if the British adopted something then someone else was probably doing it first.

Latest posts

Back