• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accroutments found at thrift stores.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for old bottles without casting seams on the sides. These will likely be old enough to meet objections.

The glass is more likely to be colored an off-blue, or aqua, as brown is the result of adding dyes to the glass mixture, a process that is most likely 20th century. Its been awhile since I was looking for this kind of gear, personally, so I may be mistaken on the age when brown bottles came into vogue.

I know the casting seams came in after the industrial revolution created the assembly lines, which allowed glass to be blown into molds to form bottles, rather than be free- blown. I don't believe that brown bottles were around before the First World War, which ended in 1918.

Double Deuce - That's why ALL of my Pendletons are so much nicer than what they make now. Better colors, better patterns, better buttons, better tailoring hell, better LOOKIN'. All USA

I got an AWESOME Trapper Nelson pack frame/backpack for $1.00,and a sheepskin mad bomber hat for $.50!! :thumbsup: They're both indespensible!! :bow: The mad bomber is toasty in 30 below!

This week I got a basket of 100% wool yarn! Monday I got 3 125 yard bundles and about 20 40 yard bundles. On Tuesday I found about 30 40 yard bundles. My total cost between the 2 days was $4.50 (including the basket). I think it's time for my daughter to learn how to weave sashes.
mrbortlein

I found a very nice forged axe with about a 18 inch handel for $15.00 and a double length wool blanket for $12.00, at a yard sale.

longbow-hunter said:
I found a very nice forged axe with about a 18 inch handel for $15.00 and a double length wool blanket for $12.00, at a yard sale.

You dog! :shocked2: Jealous!!!!! :redface:

Forged axes I got up the Yazoo, but in WI people don't let go of their blankets. I have never seen a double FS. :(

the blanket has some stains on it and needs cleaning but no tears and like I said it is double lenght. Should be nice and warm.

Last summer I picked up several wooden bowls and spoons at a garage sale for .25 and .50 apiece. I've also found pewter and copper mugs and a small roasting pot at the local Hospice thrift store where my wife and I volunteer.

I came across a Hudson Bay blanket today, but not sure if this is a decent deal or not. I realize that $50 is probably quite a bit high price and I have no idea how old it actually is, but would anyone consider this worthwhile to pursue?

IMG00023-20100630-1330.jpg

How about taking some of those old women's fur hats and coats and turning them into MM stuff? :idunno: I recently saw a fox(?) hat that looked alot like the hat Wil Geer wore in Jeremiah Johnson. But I recently found a Glacier Wear Fox hat with tail and ear flaps for $30 at an antique mall. :grin:

I thought I was the only old Pendleton nut :thumbsup: Compared to you, I'm just a beginner, with just 30 or so shirts,and three or four hunting jackets. There is just no comparison with the old '50s-70s USA ones to anything new-the thick,soft wool,and beautiful, richly colored patterns. My own personal favorites are the 'Authentic Tartan' series Pendleton had back then. I cycle through my collection, so that each shirt only gets a small amount of wear.I am also constantly on the hunt for more to add to the pile. I wear a Medium,so that makes it a bit easier. Some of them are from the very early '50s, or maybe even the '40s, but they still look as good as new

Well folks, it looks like I'm going to be visting some thift stores today! Need something to make ingots with and who knows, might strike gold!

Can't wait to see those corn cob shaped ingots.

:rotf: :rotf:

Could be kinda cool. :shocked2:

Anybody make wall brackets and lamps for candles? Old cheap silver plated dishes in resale shops can be worked into really nice ornate reflectors.

While the wife was shopping I stopped by a little antique booth. I found four Sheffield England made pewter mugs for a great price. They will go on the trade blanket.

I found this wool blanket at the thrift store. It may not be pc/hc but I think it will be ok for a tent blanket which is kinda outa sight. I only paid $10.00 for it. I might use it for trekking rather than mess up a more costly blanket.

P1120761.jpg

I've bought three 100% wool blankets off of Goodwill.com, one is being made into a capote right now, and if seen genuine Hudson bay plus their lookalikes such as the Polar Dawn, Fairbo (which I think is better than the HB) and others. Problem is shipping as it seems that there is always a handling fee and some other way of raising the price

Last edited by a moderator:
Back