• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Accroutments found at thrift stores.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhorse

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have found several very usauble items at thrift stores. In the past I have found a skinning knife, once I found a Hudson Bay blanket for three dollors. Recently I missed a pair of snowshoes that a woman picked up as I saw them and was headed for them.... You just know she was gonna hang them on her wall.

Your right. I found a Hudson bay for 2.00. I found one for my son-in-law at the flea market for 45.00. Cost 11.00 to have it cleaned. Dilly

Yep, thrift stores can be a treasure trove. Haven't found any HB Blankets, but I did pick up a 10X beaver Stetson for $2.00 once.
Always a good source for leather for projects in the form of old purses & belts.
A $.50 flannel shirt yields hundreds of cleaning patches.
Jon D

Thrift Stores can have anything- I bought some handmade shoes from a Guy in Ft. Walton Beach Florida. He had a double wide trailer- the outside looked just like a plain Trailer. The inside he had redone himself, and it looked like Colonial Williamsburg with mostly 18th century antiques.He had a large PA Dutch original blue Hutch with the scalloped edge shelves- the whole thing was full of 18th century pewter, amazing Collection- I asked where it all came from and he said Thrift Shops right here, He said people don't know what it is. So look for all kinds of things there. TGP

The last thing I found was a candle lantern for $2.50, other than that stuff has gotten pricier. I think they must be using antique item reference books or something. Even leather purses are around $10 now.

As we have more serious historians and less "people passing through " we often forget where most things came from in the past. Just as the origional mountain men/longhunters used what was available, twentyfive years ago most of the possible bags found at roundezvous were origionaly women's purses. Old women's fur coats became a source of many fur items. I still check out the goodwill stores and the local save and serve store. :hmm: :hmm:

Yep..things are getting a little pricier in thrift stores. It's harder to find treasures but still not impossible. In my area of Michigan what has happened is that thrift stores have come into vogue & the idea of buying stuff there has become trendy. Probably has a lot to do with the economy these days, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Smokes, Just thought about "American Pickers" and how thats gonna make things worse.
Jon D

Yep, but there are still occasional bargains to be found. Unfortunately, not many by me. A fellow I know found a box of reloading equipment for $25, picked out what he wanted, sold the rest to another friend for $30. He took what he wanted and sold me the rest for $20. LOL! :rotf: I'm still lookin' for something like that..

Mocassins, cast iron pans (even Griswalds), Dutch ovens, wood bowls and cups (noggin), Lanterns, Horn, Large Wool Blankets for Capote, Old high carbon Butcher knives, Silver jewelry, Glass beads (rosary), Pewter cups an bowls for melting into inlays,,
Nah, I never hit those places :wink: (any less than twice a week :grin: )
Trouble around here is like another gent said, I don't think it's so much as comming into vouge' too shop at thrift stores,,it's that the economy has tanked so much that folks that 5 years ago would have never set foot in one,, suddenly discovered there's some nice stuff available

I tend to find more "stuff" at yard/garage sales. And you can even find the occasional black powder gun as evidenced by some posters here.

I have found a lot of high end historical reproductions at thrift stores. Go figure. Williamsburg, Jamestown Glass, Virginia Metalcrafters... haven't seen many blankets. And those were pricey.

You can pick up a lot of original stuff at garage sales around here. Also farm auctions. My powder horn collection is all from those two sources.

Here along the Gulf Coast thrift stores have become popular shopping venues for a wider range of clientele than what previously used them. :cursing:

I try to stop in at my local thrift store a few times a week. The best one day score was 9 unused Army blankets ($5 each) 4 pewter plates, and a tall salt glaze mug. Any time I find pewter cups I buy them and put them on the trade blanket for a little profit.
mrbortlein

I've been scooping old pewter at such places for years. If dented I melt it into ingots for pewter nose caps and buttons.

Can't say I ever got an HB blanket, but I found a really great pair of Wellington high knee boots for $10 complete with leather soles and heels. I did find a set of early 1800 wafer irons. Our local thrift shops are too politically corerect to permit any bullet molds or reloading stuff. High school kids have invaded our local thrift shops looking for "vintage clothes"

another great place for finding stuff is the local land fill. Its insane all the stuff people throw away and its free :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thrift shops,flea markets and garage/yard sales
are all great resourses for great finds.Especially
lately I have found "Flea Markets" to be very
over priced....But someone must be useing them,
they are in about every closed
super market/department store in the area.When
at these sights....Let the buyer beware.All is not what it seems to be.IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

Here on the Gulf Coast with the best economy since the Depression Second Hand is in Vogue now, some call it reclaimed to sound more Affluent, I call it hard times. There are so many Homeless people every where and the Government wants to legalize 26 Million Mexicans. I talked to a man from Lebanon and he has been here 35 years and is sick at whats happening- he said I see this country in Colapse- he said I work 15 hours a day to make a better life and now the Government wants me to share wealth with those who do nothing, we better wake up and take the Government back at any means before its to late- TGP

Latest posts

Back