• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In search of new shooting patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I washed and dried it in the drier. Big mistake!,,,, Now it shrunk, and is to too thick
If ya know Dutch, there are "two" measurements for the fabric.
A soft measurement , then the "Crushed" measurement.
Machine drying will "fluff" the soft measurement, but when compressed hard, (like what happens when hard pressed between the seated ball and the barrel), it's the same as "crushed" un-washed,,
Worry not about the fluffing, the fabric is the same.

Dutch and I had some friendly differences about measuring the thickness of the cloth patching. Ultimately, we had the same goal, improving accuracy. I just could not apply the same pressure on precise measurement devices like micrometers. Dutch accused me of measuring cloth as if it were a piece of metal. I accused him of abusing his micrometers. In any event, you need to know the soft thickness of the material. You can also get a soft compression without damaging the micrometer by just using your thumb and index finger. Remember that your patch material will be compressed into the windage and the lead ball which is much more compression than you can apply with your micrometer or calipers. My premise was that you want the soft compression to be pretty close to the groove depth plus 1/2 the difference between the ball diameter and the land-to-land diameter. When you load with the short starter, you will complete the hard compression which you don't really need to measure other than to know that you will be compressing the patch material to that thickness. With a good patch lube, gas cutting will be minimized, and the ball will be engraved on the lands.

I ordred Dutch's book. I think it was about 1989 when Dutch taught me. There was no book then. Anyway, if the fabric shrinks, and then I make an effort to steach it, it probably won't be uniform. The fabric has to be washed to remove the sizing stuff that it's treated with. I believe that my fabric, washed, air dried and cut into 2" strips should be perfect. I am waiting for my delivery of cutting/cooling fluid, today. I will mix it 7 to 1 with water, and dry it evenly. I will be out at the range this week to test it. Thanks for the info! I will post my results.

I just could not apply the same pressure on precise measurement devices like micrometers. Dutch accused me of measuring cloth as if it were a piece of metal. I accused him of abusing his micrometers.
Good post,
And for those us that do care about our tools you make a great point.
I use calipers, and press the jaw with my thumb instead of the roller for "crushed".
If a micrometer is used, I'd certainly turn the shaft with my fingers instead of placing a bunch of pressure on the knob.
There are folks that say a caliper measures different then a micrometer because of surface size, there's merit to that,,
But the bottom line is the measurement made is only valid to the individual and his technique, and only matters as a comparison of samples measured.
Tom's soft and crushed measurement may not be the same as Fred's measurements of the same sample,, and that doesn't matter.
As long as each of them has a method that identifies differences in the samples they use
Know what I mean?

Dutch and I had some friendly differences about measuring the thickness of the cloth patching. Ultimately, we had the same goal, improving accuracy. I just could not apply the same pressure on precise measurement devices like micrometers. Dutch accused me of measuring cloth as if it were a piece of metal. I accused him of abusing his micrometers. In any event, you need to know the soft thickness of the material. You can also get a soft compression without damaging the micrometer by just using your thumb and index finger. Remember that your patch material will be compressed into the windage and the lead ball which is much more compression than you can apply with your micrometer or calipers. My premise was that you want the soft compression to be pretty close to the groove depth plus 1/2 the difference between the ball diameter and the land-to-land diameter. When you load with the short starter, you will complete the hard compression which you don't really need to measure other than to know that you will be compressing the patch material to that thickness. With a good patch lube, gas cutting will be minimized, and the ball will be engraved on the lands.
I found duck cloth that seemed just a bit too thick. Then it shrunk when I dried it in the drier. I went back to Joann's and bought denim that seems just right. I just found out that Dutch died last spring at 94. 1928 to 2022. That's a funny story. Thanks for sharing it, and your knowledge!

Carhartt shirt material. .018" thick, lubed with Track mink oil. .480 ball, just snug enough in the Colerain round bottom rifling to stay put. Front and back of the same patch, could be re-used.
Screenshot_20221030-132840_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221030-132825_Gallery.jpg

Latest posts

Back