• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accroutments found at thrift stores.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still check, but haven't got as lucky as some of you guys. The best I can check is for "old" knife blade material, until I was in there one time and found another guy doing the same. "Goodwill"'s are spring up everywhere around here though, maybe should check some out. Newer style, junk furniture is big around this college town....

My best was still a 50 cent Hudson Bay blanket at a garage sale.I almost ran to the car :)

Wife talked me into stopping at a garage sale yesterday, something that almost never happens. There sitting on a table - Gunsmiths of Greenville County & Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn, a quarter each. I didn't negotiate for a cheaper price. Guess I'll stop a little more often.

I've found a couple of wool blakets pouder horns and a few knives. Maybe $30 total.

Me, I'm a Pendleton nut. Been collecting them since the '70's. Inventory right now is 70 or so shirts, 4 suit jackets, one overcoat, one vest, 2 bathrobes.

All were bought in mint condition. Christmas presents for grandpa, grandpa dies before wearing, widow gives 'em to Salvation Army or Goodwill.

I've also collected 10 shirts or so for the wife.

I've worn out at least 20 over the decades. The trick is to buy only PERFECT samples, like NEVER worn by anyone. It's amazing how beautiful the wool, craftsmanship and designs were throughout the years! Now they make 6 plaid shirts, the wool is lousy and the tailoring is worse and they ask $79.99 for each! Whatever happened to the good old days?

Most I ever paid is $3.49, and that was a real exception, lemme tell you.

Not really a smoking deal and not really something I found at a thrift store, but I got a really decent cast iron pot the other day an an antique store that will serve me well when I start smelting my scrap lead for casting. I'd say it will hold maybe three quarts or so.
For $9, it was well worth it!

Marc, I am a Pendleton fan also. But I won't be buying any of their products unless I check the tag. I called Pendleton a few months ago to ask about their shirts and jackets. The lady I spoke to told me for the most part, Pendleton shirts etc, are no longer made here. I found some shirts in a shop a few weeks ago. The tags all said either China or Mexico. :barf:

Decided to visit the local Salvation Army today. Found a Mappin & Webb English tankard for $1.00.

This is the truth so help me Hannah! I used to have a business years ago repairing musical instruments, and selling used reworked instruments to the public.I also repaired instruments for 7 city schools and 3 counties.
One day, I went to the local police auction to get my two little boys bicycles.They had a Marimba there complete with rosewood keys (Synthetic materials are used today). I bought it for $75.00. It was in almost brand new condition complete with hard fiber carrying cases. I MEAN IMMACULATE! The rosewood bars didn't even have mallot marks!
Everybody laughed at me. I sold it to a local school system for $3,000!! cases included. The cases alone would've cost around $800 at that time. The Marimba was selling for about $5000 at the time!! Who got the last laugh? :rotf: :rotf:
Bearclaw

This area is for the discussion of Accoutrements, not for spreading hate. Your first ammendment right is protected, as long as it doesn't interfer with the rights of others. Rob, you need to treat your words like your gun and never go off half cocked; your words can do just as much damage.
mrbortlein

mrbortlein said:
This area is for the discussion of Accoutrements, not for spreading hate. Your first ammendment right is protected, as long as it doesn't interfer with the rights of others.
Just a reminder. There is no First Amendment right here, this is a privately owned forum.

Best deal for me was a Griswald 12" cast iron frying pan with a cast iron lid. Two bucks at a church rummage sale...
The Goodwill store over in Topeka usually gets a look when I'm in the area too. Found a lead backed USA repro buckle there once.

Yea, I grew up in Ellinwood, The Methodist Lady's thrift shop on Main Street. Don't know if it's still there now. It got to where those lady's knew the kinda stuff my buddys and I looked for they'd stack it up seperate for us.
Jon D

Yuo should try country auctions not big ones the small ones, my bro.inlaw told me he sold this old ml for $75 he showed me a closeup photo of the lock it had J&S Hawkens on it whether a true oregenal or not don't know?

Forrest

IMG_6536.jpg

I found a couple of bottles I might try for carrying extra lube or what not, although I have this funny feeling they might actually be from the early 1900's. The big one I'm pretty sure is, based on ones I've seen before.
There is also a small cast irom skillet I have my eye on, a little heavier than I'd like for a trekking skillet, but I may talk myself into it anyway. Then we have the leather coat that might wake up as a possibles bag one of these days...

I found a nice 12inch cast iron pan for $5.00 and an old hand forged axe for $15.00 at a yard sale.
The axe will look good and should be just right for splitting wood around the campfire.

Back