• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accra-shot,small rifle primers temperature

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was gifted a TC Hawken by my uncle. The Hawken is a kit muzzleloader and it has an Accra-shot nipple. I was looking for information on the temperature and velocity of the spark from a small rife powder as I intended to use T7 as my propellant.

Hi , ecohs from Michigan. Keep your eyes đź‘€ peeled for spammers or scammers. Stay aware of threads informing us regarding info about what to look for and spot them and what to do about reporting them. Thanks for your help. It's kinda like detective work. Fun and a little exciting. Steve

Welcome from New York State's Central-Leatherstocking region.

Don't believe I have ever seen a description of primer temperature or "spark". I have to believe it would be supersonic and somewhere below the melting point of brass (which is just above 900 degrees F).

I was gifted a TC Hawken by my uncle. The Hawken is a kit muzzleloader and it has an Accra-shot nipple. I was looking for information on the temperature and velocity of the spark from a small rife powder as I intended to use T7 as my propellant.
Howdy. Just get a musket cap nipple and use musket caps, plenty hot enough. Also if you're not aware T7 is hotter than black powder so the charges should be reduced some.

I would ditch the Accra Shot which is a pain to use and get a good old standard #11 nipple, I like a Hot Shot. At one time I shot a lot of substitute powders, all went off just fine with a standard nipple and a #11 cap.

I didn't know that an Accra Shot took small pistol primers, the ones we used back in the day used 209 shotgun primers. We ditched them because priming a gun took so long, extracting the spent primer was a pain and added more time to the loading procedure.

Back