• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chrono Results in Two .54 Rifles Using Five Different Powders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2o+ years ago, Larry Pletcher did an experiment where he took a long barrel, cut it down an inch at a time and chronographed the results. What I remember, the changes in velocity were minor until the barrel was 28" long. From the point on the velocity change was significantly larger, on the order of 100 fps if I remember right. It was posted on the old MLML site which is no longer in existence, unfortunately. I don't see it on his website either.

~Kees~

2o+ years ago, Larry Pletcher did an experiment where he took a long barrel, cut it down an inch at a time and chronographed the results. What I remember, the changes in velocity were minor until the barrel was 28" long. From the point on the velocity change was significantly larger, on the order of 100 fps if I remember right. It was posted on the old MLML site which is no longer in existence, unfortunately. I don't see it on his website either.

~Kees~
Before Rice re did their site they had a similar test result but I don't recall any precise details.

I do have good distance vision, 100% attributable to my contact lenses. But even so, I for sure don't see the "cross hairs" on my drawn target at 100 yards. What I do see is a black spot on a bright white background. I use the "cross hair" pattern so I can see where my shots hit, using binoculars. If the circle is solid, and the shot hole is within it, it is difficult to discern at that distance, even with the aid of magnification. For example, the attached pic shows what I'm talking about. I would never see those shots without walking all the way down to the target, even with binoculars. Using a bright white background, i can see where my shots land. I prefer foam board ($1 per sheet at Dollar General) as it makes clean holes without flopping around or tearing in the wind like paper does. I have learned a lot of practical things about range shooting over the years. When shooting at longer ranges, I take a mini-bike (where permissible/practical) with me to drive the 200 to 400 yards back and forth from the bench to the target. Not for the sake of laziness, but to save time. Additionally, it is difficult to shoot accurately when you just completed a 800 yard walk and are breathing somewhat heavily. The ranges I shoot at are remote, and that is by intent. I drive by closer, but busier, ranges to be able to do what I do without interruption or having to wait as another fella makes the long trek back and forth from the target ever couple of shots.
I agree with the problem that can be caused at busy ranges. Now that I'm retired I shoot early mornings during the regular work week and the range is pretty quiet most of the time. I appreciate the information you have posted as it gives me a lot of food for thought. I shot 777/FFg powder for the first time this past week out of a new to me .54 percussion and while the grouping was good at 25 yards I couldn't find any of my patches even though I thought I saw some of them coming out of the barrel. I need to file the front sight down and then work on the distance shooting but I'm wondering now if I shouldn't try some FFFg Swiss as a comparison before working on the front sight.
Thanks again for posting this information.

If anyone wants these you can PM me your email and tell me which numbers and I'll email the PDF files. These are easy to "score" your hits if printed on 60 or 70 lb bond. Less tear out and cleaner holes.

These first two 2 piece are printed on 8.5 × 14 "legal" size paper.

This is a two piece that you tape identical halves together. Easy to see at distance.
View attachment 280118
This is another two piece that is taped up. You print twice and tape together. This one may be of interest since it is the B17 mocked up to it's actual size. This target is shot in many of the international matches at 50 meters. Not in red because black is official. In a match 13 shots are placed on this target and the best ten is the score.

View attachment 280119
This one is pretty much self explanatory.

View attachment 280120
This is a 4" circle that I use at 25 yards

View attachment 280121
Large red circle. This one is more pink because my red cartridge ran low. It actually prints darker.

View attachment 280122
The only one of these I had printed has holes in it but you get the idea. The grid is one inch so if you are checking it through a scope at 50 or 100 it's easier to calculate sight adjustments.

View attachment 280123

this would be handy with a big black cross on it. I can do that if anyone wants.

View attachment 280124

From an Aussie, apologies for my late reply, I'm interested in your offer on the pdf files.

Latest posts

Back