• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

7F powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have heard that there be some 7F powder out there. Would like to try some for my pan. Where can dis ole coon git him some?

If its available, From Goex or a distributor from them. This is " flash powder ", as in the kind used by photographers back in the days of tin types where they use flash bulbs today. It burns very quickly, and because its so fine, it can be spoiled quickly by any mist, or moisture. I heard once from a man who represented a fireworks manufacturer that it is used in firecrackers. So, if you have access to small firecrackers, you can razor open some of them, and get a small quantity of 7Fg powder to try in your flashpan.

I would not bother. 4Fg priming powder is fast enough, and I am getting lazy enough to just use my main powder, 3Fg or 2Fg powder to prime with. Both work fine in my guns.

Goex makes it...ask this Goex distributor...
[url] www.JJPyrotechnics.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be worried about using fire cracker powder in a ML , considering the powdered metals used for coloring and 'sparkling'. :hmm:

The powdered metal is usually loaded separate from the flaks powder in firecrackers. However, in the large shells made for fireworks displays- the aerial explosions, the powder and the metallic colors are mixed.

You don't ever use flash powder, or even 4Fg priming powder inside the gun. Its used in Flintlocks for ignition only, by placing it outside the barrel in the flashpan. So, even if you had some metallic components in flashpowder, it would not harm the gun. It might start a fire in clothing, or grass, but it should not harm the gun. ( The only time 4Fg powder is ever used is when helping to remove a ball that has been loaded down the barrel with no powder behind it . Then you push a few grains of powder through the touch hole, or in the flash channel, under the nipple of a percussion gun, and use that small charge to push the ball out the barrel.

I tried it a few times several years ago - didn't like it. Any humidity will turn it to goop in your pan :(

You can buy 7F in cans its a Gator Product has a big green gator on the can. Clarks in Ark, carries it. I found it to be very poor in a flinter. It is not coated it fails in damp weather. It will also foul the pan and frizzen hinge and freeze the lock up with a hard white powder after it burns. Don't waste your fire crackers looking for this stuff. :rotf:

That is the same residue you will find after firing off a firecracker, too. If 7Fg powder were any good for priming, you would already see many shooters using it. I am not surprised at the negative comments here about the stuff. It was not made for use in flintlocks.

Sooo TRUE!! Don't waste your time or money on "Flash" powder for your flinter. It makes good fire works. But it is poor priming powder. :shake:

I have usede 7f for years and know several other people that have used itand have not had any problems other than a stif wind will blow it out of the pan. I have now gone to the swiss NullB. As fast as 7f is NullB is noticably faster.

Berk

2crows said:
I hear they're now putting a coating on it to keep it from drawing moisture.

I've seen 7F at a local shoot. I can't imaging anything coating that stuff. It's about as fine as baby powder. Folks were using it to prime their pan during the competition shoots. Looked like a waste of time to me because I use 3f as prime and main charge. But then, I wasn't shooting in the competition. To each his own.

Twisted_1in66 :hatsoff:

Back