• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How I Engrave A Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some photos to share my approach to designing and engraving a Powder Horn. Note how the design changes a bit as I move along with the process.
After shaping the horn I did the borders and established where my drawing panels would go.
Then, like a primed canvas I was ready to work.
This is a flat horn so it’s a little easier to draw and scribe on than round horns, for me.
work of art

Bob, doing the engraving and putting the ink or whatever you want to use as color is one thing but to do the actual art work that you are so good at is the other! You are an artist and it shows so well in the work you do, congratulations on another great piece!
Rich

Here are some photos to share my approach to designing and engraving a Powder Horn. Note how the design changes a bit as I move along with the process.
After shaping the horn I did the borders and established where my drawing panels would go.
This is a flat horn so it’s a little easier to draw and scribe on than round horns, for me.
You do a good job. I can't write my name straight, much less draw a picture like that. Semper Fi.

The “off-side” of the horn is completed. I am adding more pictures that may better show how the process of 1) drawing the image, 2) engraving the lines, and 3) filling them in with ink.
Final step will be to add some color to the horn, using dye, and then paste wax to seal it up.

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpeg
    IMG_1131.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1133.jpeg
    IMG_1133.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1134.jpeg
    IMG_1134.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1135.jpeg
    IMG_1135.jpeg
  • IMG_1137.jpeg
    IMG_1137.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1138.jpeg
    IMG_1138.jpeg
  • IMG_1139.jpeg
    IMG_1139.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1140.jpeg
    IMG_1140.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1141.jpeg
    IMG_1141.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1142.jpeg
    IMG_1142.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Very nice. Thanks for the pictures.

After some small detailing, I rub the surface with some paper towels to get any surface oil off the horn. After that I used a water based alkaline dye that I mix and wipe it on the horn, allowing it to dry.
*** Be sure you have used a Waterproof India Ink in your scrimshawing ***
I then rubbed out most of the color to get an to amber tone. Then several applications of Paste Wax. This seals the horn and fills in the lines and actually cleans and sharpens the inked lines. Some buffing and we’re done!

Attachments

• 53 aa.jpg
    53 aa.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 53 bb.jpg
    53 bb.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 53 cc.jpg
    53 cc.jpg
    812.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 53 dd.jpg
    53 dd.jpg