• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

File & rasp sharpening service review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowhammer

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm about to start a plank build, and I do not like dull files and rasps. I sent some off to Boggs Tool Processing to try them out, and can report prompt excellent service:

IMG829.jpg

That big ole antique 14" Black Diamond rasp is sharp as a razor now [I remember my dad using it around the farm in the '60's].

Somebody explain to me the chemistry/mechanics/etc that is going on with the vinegar that turns a dulled knife edge back sharp? Intriguing. One article guessed it was etching off the underside of the tooth, like sharpening a chainsaw tooth, but chemically.

Somebody explain to me the chemistry/mechanics/etc that is going on with the vinegar that turns a dulled knife edge back sharp? Intriguing. One article guessed it was etching off the underside of the tooth, like sharpening a chainsaw tooth, but chemically.
Vinegar is an acid. Most blacksmiths use muriatic acid to sharpen their files. Works a lot faster but you have to be quick about taking it out. The acid eats away some of the metal reducing the radius of the worn out Edge. You can't do it forever just a few times per file

I sent them about 20 files a while back to see. I am happy. The old quality files that were sharpened are better than new files from the hardware store. I now keep an eye out for quality old files at my usual places. I buy them for a dollar then have Boggs make them like new.

I'm about to start a plank build, and I do not like dull files and rasps. I sent some off to Boggs Tool Processing to try them out, and can report prompt excellent service:

View attachment 289745

That big ole antique 14" Black Diamond rasp is sharp as a razor now [I remember my dad using it around the farm in the '60's].
That’s good to know! I may give them a try as well.

I've been experimenting with both vinegar and sulfuric methods. Both work but the vinegar takes much longer. It's also much cheaper. So far I've gotten my best results with the sulfuric, mixed 10/1 and then a baking soda dip. My worn out nicholsen mill file USA, is now sharper than my newer Brazilian made one. I may use Boggs though for some small finer cut files assuming the result will be better than mine.

A 'muse': Ever have a favorite file that you wore out years ago but won't throw it out? You take it out every couple of years and try to use it thinking maybe healed up or wasn't as bad as you remember.., but it is. Of course you put it back again still unwilling to part with it. Mine's getting the sulfuric treatment now and it's showing signs of hope. ;)

Unless it's something special, I don't like to resharpen. I don't think they cut the same. For example, it seems they are more prone to chattering.

I have had rasps sharpened and they worked well.

Latest posts

Back