• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'58 Remington?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to possibly get a '58 Remington .44 cap and ball. I hear they are more reliable than the Colts and they don't have as many cap jams. Any truth to this? I want to get back into the cap and ball game after several years of not doing it and want a good gun. I also here the Uberti ones are closer to the originals so will probably get one of those.

Looking for any feedback or tips for the Remington cap and balls and any advice. Thanks guys!

I own and shoot both the colt and the Remington. if the chips were down an I had to pick one it would be the Remington. less cap jams more reliable better sights an easier to clean.

I had a Remington and would get occasional cap jams. I discovered by cocking the hammer more aggressively the occurrence became very rare.

I have both a colts and remingtons, but tend to shoot the remingtons more. Uberti and Pietta's are close in quality these days. Get which ever one you prefer.

Smokey, as I mentioned I have both colts and remingtons. I would be happy to let you shoot them. I don't have an Uberti, but have a late 70's vintage Pietta and an unknown vintage ASM Remington replica.

Thanks! I have shot my friends several years ago and do remember liking it. I have a Uberti 1851 Colt Navy that is neat but I've had a cap jamming problem with it that I just can't seem to solve. Hoping the Remys are a little better.

I have both in Uberti. I rotate the Colt to the right 90* when I cock it, have rarely had a cap get stuck, no more than with the Remington. I shoot the Colt more often, I just like it better. A friend has the Remington also. After letting him shoot my Colt he wanted one because he thought it felt better in his hand.

Just shot the Pietta Remington 30 times today. No cap jams. I use CCI #10 caps. My best groups were with 30 grains 2f Grafs powder, lubed wonder wad, and a .451 cast ball. Was dinging an 8" steel target every shot at 50 yards. Easily shot 3" groups at 25 yards.

I brush the barrel every time I load. I load the cylinder out of the gun with a loading press.

I got mine at Cabelas on sale.

I have shot thousands of rounds out of my pair of Remmys. I had cap jams, not many, but some. Recently got a Pietta 1860. It is flawless but had many cap jams. I rounded off all the edges on the hammer face, no more cap jams. Now I shoot the 1860 almost exclusively. For me the 1860 is better pointing, better feeling in the hand pistol. I will be buying a second Pietta soon and start shooting with them in CAS matches. BTW, I also rounded off the edges on the hammer face of my friend's 1851 Uberti and it now has no cap jams at all.

In 1968 Dad brought home an Uberti 1861 Colt Navy. I grew up firing, cleaning and maintaining it. It was accurate and loads of fun to shoot, but I was always a little disappointed that Dad didn't get a Remington, instead. That 1861 Navy has seen thousands of balls fired over the years. 40 years later, Cabelas had a sale, so I ordered a .44 Remington Sheriff's Model. There was a backorder & they eventually sent me a .36 cal. 1858 in error. I really wanted the .44, but took out the .36 to the range. It was great fun to shoot, but I told Cabelas of my great disappointment over not getting a .44. I wanted to keep the .36, but I wanted them to make their error right. They sent me a .44 at below the sale price & free shipping, to keep me happy & I've put an equal amount of shooting time thru both calibers. I had finally gotten my dream Rem .44,and accuracy is amazing, but the .36 continued to have a strange allure. I've gone on to other various Colt .44's. All are fine shooters, but the .36 always seems to call me. My last cap & ball purchase was an 1851 Colt Navy. It just needs a taller front sight to give it the same accuracy as my other .36's & .44's.

I also have the Remmie Navy and Army. I think for me it's the crack of the Navy when loaded a little hot that keeps me going back to it. It's fun, and a little different than the Boomer .44s

The Remington Sheriff in .44 is a dream to handle and shoot though. May be my favorite.

I have three Pietta Remingtons. One is the .36 and I notice that it has a very distinct sound on detonation that seems deeper than the forty-fours. I’m beyond pleased with all the Pietta Remingtons.

I really like the design of the Remington, with the top strap, very good sights and ease of removing the cylinder. However, the Remington trigger guard tends to rap my middle finger on recoil, and after a couple of cylinders it just isn't as fun for me to shoot.
So I went back to a Colt 1860. Beautiful lines, no sore finger, and when the hammer is properly polished, no cap issues. I have also found that both the Colt and Remington are capable of the same intrinsic accuracy -- although most of us shoot the Remington sight picture better. Really can't go wrong with either.
If going Remington, the Uberti has a dovetailed front sight and its dimensions are so close to the original that parts interchange. I think it is better choice than the Pietta.

Right with you but a 1860 guy all the way. Just don't like the way the Remington feels, shoots or takes three hands to reassemble! :wink:

Back