• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 or .44?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DA I am a firm believer that .22lr is more effective that .25auto and it sounds like .32auto is also a dud... but its mostly about bbl length. short bbls dont produce any velocity. My home defense and RV defense has been 1858 army pietta this summer. with 25g of T7 and an 8" bbl it hits the steel plenty hard. I have been shooting it dry once a week and it has been very reliable with only one slow ignition all summer but it still went bang. Yesterday i realized i had not shot it in 3 weeks so I took care of that business. my first two trigger pulls were misfires with the cap not going off. the other four went bang. recapped and those cylinders fired perfectly. I don't know if it was bad caps or oil contamination? last year I had a .357 ruger misfire on a cylinder that had been loaded for over a year and heavily oiled. Obviously oil contamination in that case.

Trust me, your paranoid. But just because you are paranoid dosen't mean they are not out to get you ;) I don't know where you live so your situation may warrant full time carry but in most rural areas the only way you will ever need a gun for defense is if you are dealing drugs or involved in some kind of domestic manure. I have gone on extensive climbing trips, camping all over the US and Canada and never even came close to needing a gun. One of my cop friends took a climbing trip to Wyoming and saw boogiemen everywhere... His attitude had everything to do with it. if you have good verbal ju jitsu and know how to mind your own buisness you should never need to actually fight. all that being said if for some crazy unknown reason something did go down and I had my 1858 with a fresh cylinder in it I would not feel under gunned unless it was whole cartell movie style.. I just stepped outside and dinged a 5" plate a 20 yards and 5"x6" plate at 30yrds. six shots feels like a lot after just shooting my front stuffer for the last month getting ready for States.

Well, I spent 30 years as a Deputy Sheriff and retired. I agree with Crow Chocker and don’t see him as paranoid. He speaks from experience just the same as me.

No offense nick, but you have no idea what you're talking about. As you posted, you have no idea where I live or the situational issues. I don't fear anyone is out to get me. I don't live with daily fear, but I don't take my guard down either. I made alot of people unhappy to the fact they received citations and/or were arrested, but never had any threats except once. Some 35 years ago an idiot I cited and arrested advised me he knew where I lived and that he had guns. Advised him if he was threatening me, he had better make the first shot count as he wasn't going to get another. His brother found out about his threat and got him on the straight and narrow pretty fast. Saw him numerous times after that and he usually pretended he didn't see me. I had numerous people I delt with apologize for their actions at later dates.

I'm as honest as the day, I don't even speed. As I used to tell speed violators, those speed limit signs aren't a suggestion, but the law. I don't go looking for trouble, but trouble can rear its head anytime, anywhere. IMO you've been living out of your cabin or trailer too long and have become immune and unknowing of the real world. I could be wrong, if so I apologize. If I could, I'd live off in the mountains, hills, and or big timbered areas at least 3-5 miles from my nearest neighbor if possible but that wouldn't guarantee persons bent on evil wouldn't come along. I live in a rural farm land area on an acreage, pretty quiet, but nothing is guaranteed. Your '58 44 Remington would be better than rocks but may not be enough especially if your opponents are better armed, they out number you, and/or you expel all six shots and that hasn't scared em off. Stay safe.

exactly my point. both you guys and my cop friend spent your whole lives dealing with the dregs of society 40hrs a week. it gives you a jaded view on humanity. Us civilians who don't travel in the same circles really don't have to worry about that manure. If I lived in a state with higher crime it might be a different story but I don't.

I had a Ruger old army was nice but I really enjoy my 1851 36 navy. I had my son do an action shield to stop any caps to fall in the action. Plus its accurate as all get out.

Attachments

• 20230809_134709.jpg
    20230809_134709.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230719_123457.jpg
    20230719_123457.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230814_131500.jpg
    20230814_131500.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Essentially me not being in law enforcement, not being involved in criminal activity and not getting tangled up with someone else's wife the chances of me ever having to use that Remi on anything other than bambi or a steel plate are about the same as me getting hit by lighting.

I will admit I have carried my 1851 for self defense in the woods and a few times in town why..not
1. Little recoil
2. Accurate
3.excellent point abilities
4.If it worked for them back in the day it will work today.
I don't feel underguned when I carry it. I also wouldn't mind a 1860 army at some point.

what is the difference in feel between an 1851 navy and and 1860 army? I had an 1851 as a kid and it was as I recall an excellent point shooter.
The Army has a longer grip frame and the originals has a scoshe more room between the trigger guard and the front grip strap. The Army is more comfortable for folks with larger hands. In my opinion. I can shoot the Army Colts rather well, and the Navy/SAA passably well also, Remington 44’s are just miserable for me.

I agree that the Remi does not have the nice balance and pointability that the 1851 brings to the table. It does have better sights and is suited for speed loads with extra cylinders. For me The Remi is a two handed modern stance revolver. the 1851was great at point shooting.

I agree that the Remi does not have the nice balance and pointability that the 1851 brings to the table. It does have better sights and is suited for speed loads with extra cylinders. For me The Remi is a two handed modern stance revolver. the 1851was great at point shooting.
In any case I much prefer 44 caliber. Many reasons, general utility being one, it hits harder than the 36 and it’s every bit as accurate. Beyond that, the boom of the 44 is addictive, grandpa let me shoot his Colt Army when I was a wee kid and it stuck hard with me. The sound, smell and feel is intoxicating.

Last edited:
I started with an 1858 Rem in .44, then got an 1860 Colt in .44, after that came a .36…. I like the feel of the larger guns and the report. The .36 is a really nice shooter though. Edit- mind you, I’ve only been shooting these BP pistols for about a year. I did duty carry
( and still now carry my own) a Sig P229 .357 for 12yrs and shot that a ton.

What's the intended use? I've been shooting an 1851 clone since 1986 in cowboy action events. Someone suggested getting a .44 cal. 1858 Remington to have more clang on the steel targets and they didn't have the problems the open top 1851 has with sucking caps. Well... the 1858 was uncomfortable to hold in a two handed grip, the hammer geometry differed from my 1851 or SAAs, so... it sat in the safe until I safely disposed of it in a trade. Good riddance! While it didn't suck caps back into the action, it often split them, causing them to double over and foul between the cylinder and recoil shield. Franken pistols come in the form of a wannabe 1851 in .44 caliber, otherwise all 1851s are .36s... Similarily, 1860s are .44s. The smaller sized, but similar looking 1861 is a .36. IMO, .44s are ungainly and overly heavy. While .36s are svelte and graceful...

On top of all that, .36s are also more economical to shoot. Less powder and small projectiles, mean you get more per lb of lead. The frugal Scotsman in me wins!
Not an ad but 45D puts in a cap post that works. I have an army done by him with way over 500 rounds (I keep a barrel record) and try as I might with all kinds of caps it works to the point of boredom. Almost makes a feller shoot unmentionables where you expect boredom.
Makin]' smoke
Bunk

Not an ad but 45D puts in a cap post that works. I have an army done by him with way over 500 rounds (I keep a barrel record) and try as I might with all kinds of caps it works to the point of boredom. Almost makes a feller shoot unmentionables where you expect boredom.
Makin]' smoke
Bunk
I know of many C&B shooters that have installed cap rakes on their revolvers, either themselves or by a 'smith. The reason I don't use them, is that I had four of my 1851s converted to a "Manhattan" conversion, a period modification that performs as well. I have about 25 years of using 2 of these pistols in cowboy action and know they work. I've shot several 3 day matches with a pair and only problem is an very rare cap folding over and hanging up the cylinder from rotating. Two years ago I shot in two C&B categories in the same match, a total of 24 stages, 240 shot over the 3 days,. never cleaning or fussing with the guns until arriving back home after the match. Why spend time cleaning guns when the adult beverage light is lit, and socializing is going on?! I neither practice, nor shoot fast, so I'll never join others in the winner's circle, but I have fun! Besides, shooting an 1860 Henry and a hammered double isn't exactly conducive to speedy times! Although I have promised a pardner to not dawdle and engage in verbal gymnastics while the clock is running this year! Apparently he thinks that beating me while I'm trying to NOT goof off will somehow make beating me better! This is the one match a year that we both attend.
The Manhattan gate:
capshield 012.jpg

I prefer the 31 cal pocket revolvers. but I like both 36 and 44.
My 2 .36 are so dam accurate even at a distance, but the little.31 is a challenge to get it consistently accurate which makes me use it more often. Its like the red headed step child. Some days it amazes me and other days it really pisses me off.
Edit: last time out a ball lodged in the wood target post, i dug it out and didn’t see a lot of rifling scoring. I currently have 300 .320 balls but when i get thru these i may try .323 that track of wolf sells. Wondering if the .320 are acting more like a smooth bore and not getting a good grip on the rifling.

Last edited:
My 2 .36 are so dam accurate even at a distance, but the little.31 is a challenge to get it consistently accurate which makes me use it more often. Its like the red headed step child. Some days it amazes me and other days it really pisses me off.
Edit: last time out a ball lodged in the wood target post, i dug it out and didn’t see a lot of rifling scoring. I currently have 300 .320 balls but when i get thru these i may try .323 that track of wolf sells. Wondering if the .320 are acting more like a smooth bore and not getting a good grip on the rifling.
I use cast .330 buckshot or the eras gone in the same .33 baby dragoon and now mine shoots poa.

I use cast .330 buckshot or the eras gone in the same .33 baby dragoon and now mine shoots poa.
Ok, went to range, balls are all over target at 20 yards. Nothing consistent. .320 in a .31 pocket Colt. On 3 of 5 chambers i can push ball down with thumb pressure. So i am really thinking its smooth boring it. I going to get .323 to try. I see guy’s mention.330 but I don’t see for sale and i dont cast my own, do you buy shot shells and cut open?

Latest posts

Back