• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 or .44?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious as to the revolver preference of .36 or .44 and why. I have one .36 and 3 .44s and quite frankly I am liking shooting the .36 and bit more. My .36 is a Uberti 1862 pocket so that my have something to do with it. It is lighter and a pleasure to shoot (when it is not cap jamming!). My .44s are all Remingtons and "horse pistols" compared to the pocket Navy. They rarely have issues. I have never shot a full size .36.

Started out in 1972 with a Euro-Arms 1851 Navy model in 44 caliber. Was the only cap n ball for a number of years and when I started to acquire more, 44's seemed the right choice. Also there were more options as far as models it seemed and most were 44 caliber. Went to Dragoons, 60' Colt Army's and others and they were all 44's. I have bought two 36's, a 51' Navy and 61' Navy, but enjoy the bigger caliber, heft, size, and historical appeal of the 44's.

I only have one 36, a 1860 Colt Sheriff’s model with a fluted cylinder, and a couple of 44’s. But the 36 get the most shooting. I like the look and feel of it.

What's the intended use? I've been shooting an 1851 clone since 1986 in cowboy action events. Someone suggested getting a .44 cal. 1858 Remington to have more clang on the steel targets and they didn't have the problems the open top 1851 has with sucking caps. Well... the 1858 was uncomfortable to hold in a two handed grip, the hammer geometry differed from my 1851 or SAAs, so... it sat in the safe until I safely disposed of it in a trade. Good riddance! While it didn't suck caps back into the action, it often split them, causing them to double over and foul between the cylinder and recoil shield. Franken pistols come in the form of a wannabe 1851 in .44 caliber, otherwise all 1851s are .36s... Similarily, 1860s are .44s. The smaller sized, but similar looking 1861 is a .36. IMO, .44s are ungainly and overly heavy. While .36s are svelte and graceful...

On top of all that, .36s are also more economical to shoot. Less powder and small projectiles, mean you get more per lb of lead. The frugal Scotsman in me wins!

For just pure shooting pleasure, I prefer my .36's by a wide margin. My favorite pistol is the 1851 Navy. When out hunting or walking around the woods, I most often carry a .44, as it is a more effective choice for game and varmints, whether two or four legged.

I have BP revolvers from an 1862 Police up to a Walker, and like them all. I started with a Ruger Old Army and that was all I had for years. Next I got a .36 1851 but followed that with a Walker and recently a 3rd Dragoon. An 1861 Navy is the most pleasing to my eye. Of the group I like shooting the little 1862 and the Dragoon the most. In the end i would say I prefer a .36, either the Police or 1861 Navy, unless a “Horse Pistol” is called for. ; )

what is the difference in feel between an 1851 navy and and 1860 army? I had an 1851 as a kid and it was as I recall an excellent point shooter.

1849 in 31 for the wife it shoots well and has very little recoil.
I prefer the Remington in 44 for shooting.
Colts are sexier for looking but can be too temperamental at times.

For shooting paper in a full-sized revolver I like the .36. When I am actually going to carry it or rely on it for protection, I look for the shorter barrel lengths. That's where the .44's overtake the .36's. But even then its all about reliability. If I had a 44 that was iffy and a 36 that was repeatedly reliable, the 36 would get the nod.

Tough call, can’t really pin it down to either. I enjoy shooting both calibers. I do find the .36 Police Pocket more comfortable and well balanced. Then The Dragoon weighs like a brick but love shooting it too, so a tough call.🤨

Back