• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 or .44?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, went to range, balls are all over target at 20 yards. Nothing consistent. .320 in a .31 pocket Colt. On 3 of 5 chambers i can push ball down with thumb pressure. So i am really thinking its smooth boring it. I going to get .323 to try. I see guy’s mention.330 but I don’t see for sale and i dont cast my own, do you buy shot shells and cut open?
I cast my own using a lee 00 mold.
I think tow may have a 5 pound box of hornady buckshot in .330.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000036400/-number-00-point330-diameter-buckshot-5-pounds

Ok, went to range, balls are all over target at 20 yards. Nothing consistent. .320 in a .31 pocket Colt. On 3 of 5 chambers i can push ball down with thumb pressure. So i am really thinking its smooth boring it. I going to get .323 to try. I see guy’s mention.330 but I don’t see for sale and i dont cast my own, do you buy shot shells and cut open?
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-00-8-lb_jar-330/productinfo/SBK20/
Your welcome hahahah

Casting the 00 buck is the hardest to cast for me.
Really have to get and keep that mold hot to cast right.

shot these bad boys today.
IMG_1407.jpg
had not shot the big one since last summer. they both shot well. the bison has better sight and trigger but the 8" is handier. made some good shots with both of them . 5" steel at 30yrds. 6" steel at 45yrds. the Bison has almost no recoil with the same 25g of T7 but they both knock the steel down with authority. I have not done any fast and dirty point shooting with cap and ball pistols since I was a teenager but I feel it coming on.

What is the purpose/principal of the Manhattan Gate?
Like the "cap rake" it prevents caps from being sucked back into the action. With the narrowed slot and Slix Shot nipples the cap is blown apart at the sides and stays forward of the hammer slot. The hammer is narrowed to allow it to fit in the narrowed opening much like the Remington revolver.

I ordered some super buck lead balls in .380 to try in my .36 Navy before I get another mold. I really like the Eras be gone colt bullet mold I have but want to try some round balls.

So after a day at range, I staying with the 320 over 323. The 323 are really difficult to seat on my 48 no-lever Colt. Saw no improvement in accuracy.
Anyone want about 95 .323 round balls?
Slug yer bore. You may need to ream the chambers for larger balls. The chambers should be the same size as the grooves +- a couple thou.

The reason I am leaning towards an 1860 army is so that I can use the same ammo as with my Remington's. I need to get a Lepage .45 first for bullseye and Biathlon.
Be sure both guns are of the same brand. In .44 caliber the different brands have different chamber dimensions. I don’t remember which is larger.
The larger balls will work okay in the smaller chambered brand, but the smaller brand’s balls are a little loose in the other brand.
I think the Uberti’s have the largest chambers. I had to go to .458” or .459” in my Uberti .44’s.
I only buy Uberti brand so I only have to use one mold for .44.

I don't have a pair of calipers, any idea what the chamber size is in a ASM .44 Navy? I've had pretty good luck with 454s.

Back