• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

51 COLT

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe Cabela's sale prices are immpossible to beat for new C&B's. And they have $5 shipping quite often.

I just got a Rem 58 (on sale)and the Pietta fit and finish is great! I know that Pietta quality can go up and down but the one they just sent me was real good. And it hits right where the sights are pointed. :thumbsup:

Ron
If it is a steel framed revolver, (the frame, not the trigger guard which will be brass) and having a pistol just like the one Colt made in 1851 is not important to you then go for it.

Colt's 1851 was made only in .36 caliber and the .44 version of it is an Italian dream.

That said, these .44 caliber guns are great for shooting and having fun with.
They make a bigger bang but have the same excellent grips that made the 1851 Navy popular.

Most folks find that the fit of these guns in their hand allows for instant pointability.

. aug 20 / 3:00pm

a very experienced black powder shooter once told me "..if you can find a steel frame revolver for under $200, take it !.." i think that means "yes" and i would add buying from cabela gives you a great warranty: "..if there are any problems, send it back."

however, the starter kit is questionable.. yes, you will need most of that stuff but that collection is way overpriced.. look around at online shops which specialize in muzzleloading and you should be able to find the same items in better quality and price.. thirty round balls will last you 1 day at best; a box of 100 costs between $8-$12.

do you have any other black powder equipment ? if not, the list of recommended items is quite extensive, so be prepared to spend another $50-100 for everything..

trust me, i bought my lemat from cabela a year ago and it was worth every penny.. once you try muzzleloading, you'll never go back.

~d~

THANKS GUYS,the 51 is just for fun and yes i have a couple of other pistols i bought from taylor and i just love them . 58 remi & 60 colt thanks RON

The accessories are nice to have, but you don't really need them. In a pinch you can get by with just the can of blackpowder, a simple dip measure, a tin of caps, some balls and a tub of crisco to seal the chambers. Cleanup is easily accomplished with any old gun cleaning kit and hot water. Around here with careful shopping I could buy the whole works for $30 and that would still leave enough powder for an additional 200 shots afterwards. If you buy yourself a good mold you can cut the price down to little more than powder and caps.

Back