• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Uberti Colt 1851 Navy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm in the same boat and can't decide which...
I think you'll find out you need both. I already have a Dragoon in.44 and two 1860s (one fluted) both in .44, and an 1862 Police Pocket in .36. As far as .36 "navy" caliber full-size, I elected the 1851 over the 1861 because it best represents make and model for that caliber, and also represents wide use and popularity in its day. A .44 cal 1851 was never made. That's a modern marketing invention. I also chose Uberti because their 1851 is closest to the original and it doesn't have a defaced barrel, as all the Pietas do. Hope that helps. There's a lot of variations to choose from. Any one of which is going to be a whole lot of fun. It depends what your other criteria are. Good luck!!

What made you choose uberti over pietta?
And howcome 36 over 44cal?

When I bought my first revolver a few years ago Uberti had the better reputation for fit, finish, and function (smoother action). Now I don’t believe that’s necessarily true. However, until Pietta follows Uberti’s lead and hides their advertising and warnings under the barrel or otherwise out of sight I will choose Uberti over Pietta. I wish that Uberti was producing a SA Starr, a DA Starr, a Sidehammer Root, a LeMat…

I don’t like fantasy guns at all so the “1851” in .44 is just - wrong. When I want to shoot .44 I’ll shoot a .44 - Walker, Dragoon, 1860 Army, Starr - and when I want to shoot .36 I’ll shoot a .36 - 1851 Navy, 1861 Navy, 1862 and 1863 pocket models…

What made you choose uberti over pietta?
And howcome 36 over 44cal?

The Uberti grip frame more closely follows the original making for a better looking pistol IMHO. Had all 3 at the same time, Pietta, Uberti and a Colt 2nd, sold the Pietta. The .36 caliber doesn't require the stepped cylinder or notched frame of the 1860 .44 which detracts from the 1851's magnificent good looks :thumb:

While I was really looking for a Uberti 51 Navy I thought I wasn't a fan }. I came across this charcoal blue model and became an instant fan of the 1851 Navy

Attachments

• 51 Navy set 2.jpg
    51 Navy set 2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back