• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Uberti Colt 1851 Navy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of aquiring a Colt 1851 Navy repro, and I notice that Dixie Gun Works has multiple Uberti Colt 1851 Navy models. I think what I'd like is something that reasonably represents what they call the "fourth model" and I'm looking for some guidance as to which Uberti offering you think most closely represents that. Thanks ...

@wiscoaster, I’m no expert but I think that only the square-back trigger guard (2nd model) and the round trigger guard (3rd/4th models which are very similar - I think) are offered by Uberti. I love my 1851 Uberti with a five-inch barrel. (Let’s just call it a 4th model. Five inch barrels are rare but documented so it isn’t an Italian fantasy gun.) I just like the way that the shorter barrel handles. Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

There are ten1851 Navy Colts that Dixie Gun Works lists online; some are Piettas and some are Ubertis: Screenshot.pngScreenshot 1.pngScreenshot 2.pngScreenshot 3.pngScreenshot 4.pngScreenshot 5.pngScreenshot 6.pngScreenshot 7.pngScreenshot 8.pngScreenshot 9.png

I'm confused.

I suppose I could scratch the brass frame and square-back trigger guards. That still leaves six to choose from. None resemble Wild Bill's 1851 Navy, which would be my main criterion for choice.

Taylor's has even more, though they do have one Wild Bill model, but it's over $800. And "out of stock/no backorder" anyway. Argh. :dunno:

Last edited:
If you have your heart set on the model that Hickok carried at the end of his life I think DGW’s RH019 is as close as you’ll get from Uberti. Don’t get the London model - you want the brass trigger guard and grip frame. Notice that the loading cutout in the right side of the frame is wrong. My Uberti had the same small opening that I corrected to match original models using a Dremel and very careful sanding with wet/dry. You can find faux ivory grips online but you’ll probably have some fitting to do. If you want to match the engraving - we’ll sorry but I can’t help you there.

I found this used Pietta on GB. It's got a steel frame, faux engraving and cheapo plastic grips I can ditch. On the downside, of course, is the usual Pietta advertising on the barrel, which I suppose I can live with. But I can't tell - maybe you guys can help me out: is this trigger guard the small oval or the large oval? It looks pretty small, but I'm not sure how to tell. It's the large oval I'm wanting, and mainly why I specified fourth model. Thanks.
Screenshot 2.png
Screenshot 1.png
Screenshot.png

Last edited:
Wow, I just sent one of those back to a customer!! Nice revolver. His has a sheriff's barrel to go with it.
That's a steel frame btw. The back strap and trigger guard are brass.

Mike

Saw one of those at a gun show not long ago, IMO it is the small. Speaking of trigger guards, I love the looks of the squareback trigger guards as on my Walker, Whitville, and 2nd Mod Dragoons, so when I bought a Uberti '51 36 caliber some years back from Taylor I got the squareback version. Just looks natural for that model. I have no prob with the squareback on the big 44's, but my fat fingers are a bit cramped on that '51 Colt. It's not so bad it's unshootable, but always there. My '61 Navy with round guard feels alot better. Have been going to switch to a round trigger guard on the '51 but always hope I can find someone that wants to trade a round for a square. So ifin anyone out there is considering a '51 Navy and like the looks of the squareback ifin ya have large hands/fingers, a squareback '51 is tight.

...I have no prob with the squareback on the big 44's, but my fat fingers are a bit cramped on that '51 Colt. It's not so bad it's unshootable, but always there. My '61 Navy with round guard feels alot better. ...ifin ya have large hands/fingers, a squareback '51 is tight.
Thanks, that gives me some guidance on which way to go.

From the for-what-it's-worth department:

I just overlaid images from the web of a 3rd model original 1851, a 4th model original 1851, and an Uberti reproduction 1851, their model no. 340000. I don't know where the small or large trigger guards fall in the pantheon of 1851 models and variants, but there are only negligible differences between the three I compared. No one is noticeably larger or smaller than the others.

More from the for-what-it's-worth department...

I've attached a photo of my two Uberti's side by side. The loading cutout/port on the top one used to look like that on the bottom one. I couldn't load conicals with it, so I enlarged it as I explained above. I understand that the beveled cutout was a feature of the 4th model but I've seen many purported 3rd models with the beveled cutout, maybe half/half. So did Colt make any 3rd models that way, or were they later modified, or are they misrepresnted on the web?

Caveat: When I say I've "seen" anything it's almost always on the web. Just so you know.

Attachments

• IMG-9803.jpg
    IMG-9803.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
From the for-what-it's-worth department:

I just overlaid images from the web of a 3rd model original 1851, a 4th model original 1851, and an Uberti reproduction 1851, their model no. 340000. I don't know where the small or large trigger guards fall in the pantheon of 1851 models and variants, but there are only negligible differences between the three I compared. No one is noticeably larger or smaller than the others.
Hmmmm. Interesting. I was thinking of doing that, too, when I got around to it, so thanks for your report. Wrt the supposed size difference, I'm relying on a Mike Belliveau video, and he's been consistently knowledgeable and reliable on other cap 'n ball topics, so I didn't do any further research until this thread. There's a gun collectors show coming up near here in a couple weeks; hopefully I can get there and somebody will have some real guns I can handle and compare.

I've attached a photo of my two Uberti's side by side. ....
I took a calipers and as close as I could measure without scratching my screen I got 24 x 32 mm on the top and 22 x 30 mm on the bottom. So there does seem to be a difference between the sizes of the two ovals, though the actual measurements I got are completely dependent on window sizing. And if the camera angle wasn't exactly vertical.

Latest posts

Back