• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 or .32 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootsctm

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked alot. I just want to know about your thought on a .36 cal and .32 caliber are. Was thinking about getting one. Do they use the same amount of powder which would be better for target shooting. Looking to get away from larger calibers and save some lead and powder. Is buying a smaller caliber worth It or in the end not so much.
Thanks for your input.

If you are planning on using it for target work then I'd go with a 36 or 40. If you also plan to hunt squirrels then I'd look at the 32 as it is easier on the meat. Hard to beat a nice 40 for target work.

I was thinking of using it for target work. Not to many squirls around here except in town. Why do you like a .40 cal what are you using for a roundball load? What size of ball, how many grs powder 2f or 3f what twist is your rifle?
Thanks

The larger the ball the greater it's ballistic coeffeciency, which means it fights a crosswind better.
For calibers under .50 you'd want to use 3F powder.

I'd go with the 36. It's a great calibre for small game. I use mine for targets and small game. Also, if you buy your balls you can use 000 buckshot (it's .350 dia.) and cheaper by the pound then buying specifically made rifle balls. I use Hornady 000 in mine, they're swaged and perfect and target grade good. No sprue or mold line. They are a blend so they're just a tad lighter than pure lead but that doesn't matter if they're all you shoot.

I favor the 36 simply for the reason that ramrods can be heavier. Thin wooden rods get critical. :idunno:

I was in the same situation a few years ago and went with a .32.I love it i read it would be hard to keep clean no i dont think so.As for accuracy i can keep quater size groups at 25 yrds and about 2 inch groups at 50 yrds.I haven't shot anything but gophers but it works for them.I would say its like a 22 mag .I do intend on using on coyotes and rabbits but haven't had the chance yet.As for powder if i want good groups it likes 25 gr.If i want gopher shooting i can use 10 gr and it works fine.If you want a little more get a .36 or a .40 but honestly as for saving powder an im cheap i really dont think you will save much.As for lead i bought a lee mold and can make a ton of rb in very little time.And like everyone says and i stand by these words "you can have more than one" i like that.

I should also say i do try to shoot off hand and i believe if a person used a rest you could get way better groups at 50 yrds or further.My 25 yrd group is using a rest.

For target shooting the .36 holds up at distances and fights wind a little better than the .32 though they are close on all counts. Both use little lead and powder so are cheap to feed. If you were a dedicated squirreler I recommend the .32. Though you didn't ask, the .40 is a great target round and only a little more ravenous than a .36.

Fix a back stop so you can retreive your lead and remelt it. A .40 wouldn't cost much more to shoot. I prob save 90% of mine. :) Larry

Get a .40 with an "A" weight swamped barrel. It is a very accurate caliber and the swamped "A" weight barrel will make it light, well balanced and sweet looking.

I shoot a 36, a 32 and a 30- but all for small game rather than serious target work. The thing I notice is that all "accuracy" considerations aside, the smaller the ball the more it's affected by wind. And we have a lot of wind. For strictly target work, I'd go for the 36 if given only that and the 32 to choose between. But like others are saying here, a 40 or even a 45 seems to be the more popular target calibers among the range shooters I know.

And yeah, recover your lead and recast, and the only difference in cost between any of them is the amount of powder you use.

I went with a Flinter in 40 cal and although most target rifles in this area are 45 or 50 I was quite happy with it. I live in Texas the land of 90 pound white tail deer and I harvested several with lung shots. None went motre than 45 or 50 yards. Head shots on bushy tails was required if you wanted to eat them.

My x-wife had a 40 and took a fair number deer with hers as well. She had a 36 that she shot at targers some and we never had any problems with it. Geo. T.

Bootsctm said:
I was thinking of using it for target work. Not to many squirls around here except in town. Why do you like a .40 cal what are you using for a roundball load? What size of ball, how many grs powder 2f or 3f what twist is your rifle?
Thanks

I like the 40 because it is such a nice shooter. For balls I am using .395 Hornady round balls with 40 grains of Goex 3F. I am going to play around soon as it warms up a bit and see if I can find a lighter load that will shoot well enough for small game. My 40 is a Green Mountain drop in barrel on a TC Hawken stock, with Lyman globe front and 57 rear peep.

I rained yesterday so the snow machine riding is done for the year. Shouldn't be but couple weeks and things will be warm enough for outside shooting.

Interesting that you bring this up. I use to live in a place where I could "mine" lead from the club backstop. Now, where I shoot, it's not possible. Whatever you shoot is gone for good. :cursing:

Find a rifle that fits you physcially and balances well and that matches your upper body strength.

Worrying about cents per shot for powder and lead sent down range is a waste of time unless you are going to shoot a tremendous number of shots per year. Why consider cents per shot versus cost of the rifle?

To answer your question, 32 or 36, I like the 36.

r

I have an underhammer I can switch the barrel to whatever I want. I was looking at a swamped barrel. So I'm just looking at my options. As far as that goes my 50 cal uses bout 40 grs powder for target work so I might as well use it.

Bootsctm said:
I have an underhammer I can switch the barrel to whatever I want. I was looking at a swamped barrel. So I'm just looking at my options. As far as that goes my 50 cal uses bout 40 grs powder for target work so I might as well use it.

Underhammers and changing barrels, the best thing you can have, I have underhammers from 32 to 36 to 45 and not one regret in rifles and the same in pistols, same calibers. Still given a choice it's 36, it's nice when it cracks when it goes off.

What brand underhammer?

It's made by Bruce
He called them "blue grouse" I really like it so far.
Hit a coyote metal target 8 out of 10 times at 260 yard with the Lyman tang sight I have on it.

Back