• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 vs .36 caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwm

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So which is better, and why? I'm interested in a small bore percussion muzzleloader for plinking and squirrels. What are the pros and cons of these two calibers? I'd like to shoot patched round ball out of the gun.

And part two of the question: what is the maximum range of one of these guns with a typical hunting load? Not maximum shooting range at game, but rather maximum distance the ball will go. I won't shoot squirrels out of trees with a .22 rimfire due to proximity to town. I'm assuming that a .32- or .36-cal ball with an appropriate load of black powder will be dangerous only to a few hundred yards even if fire upwards at a 45-degree angle...or am I unrealistic here?

Not much difference until you try pushing the range. The 36 is likely to reach out further with less wind drift, but that's not what I'm using my little guys for.

I can only answer part of your question. I have a .32 that shoots 30gr FFF. Its got to be more than a standard .22lr, probably btw that and a 22 mag. I treat mine like a .22. If I wouldn't take the shot with a 22 I won't take it with my .32. Only real difference I notice is at 100 yards it does drop slightly more. I bought my deer hunter kit from Dixie gun works. Cheap and fun gun to shoot.

I vote a GOOD .36. My .32 Crockett is accurate as heck but GOTTA swipe between shots and clean up is more of a PIA. Other's disagree (wish I had their gun).

Also you can shoot a .36 maxi at a bit larger game reliably. Which ever, spend the $$ and get a GOOD one, you will be pleased.

I agree that you should treat as a .22. I know even my .32 tears rodents up WAY WAY worse than a .22 even with a hollow point!

I have both a .32 and a .36 myself. I would go with the .36 too. Just a little extra power and a little more range on it. Heck, you may have a 'yote walk by and the .36 will take him for sure if you do your part. Yes, and I agree that you should buy a good one, not cheap, to be happy with it. Good Luck.....

For just general shooting I like the 36. However for small game hunting the 32 is easier on the meat. In a 32 if your gun will shoot well at 20 grains it is pretty much like a 22 LR. My 36 will plum take the head clean off, just to hard on things I want to eat. Anything other that a head shot and you have a mess with the 36. If you use bore butter/wonder lube you won't have to wipe after every shot.

32 or 36, anything but a head shot on small game you won't have much left to eat. As to shooting squirrels up in a tree, they will both carry about like a 22. In my personal opinion there is no really safe way to shoot upwards with a single projectile because you cannot control your backstop. Lots of people do it, but that doesn't make it safe.

If you want to do shoot upwards where there is nothing to stop the carry and do it safely I would suggest loading shot in a smooth bore, lack of carry is one of the things they excel at.

I have both and love the 36 and the 32 sits in the gun safe. Best thing is when ya get 8 hours from home and ya realize you forgot the bag of extra balls and have maybe 10 in your shooting bag, you can go to the store and buy a box of 000 buck shot and cut them open and have instant 36 cal balls on hand. Good luck finding a 32 caliber ball in the middle of no where, but can always find 000 buck. Also the 32 is a fouling king, and ram rods are always breaking on me, the 36 is much better for not fouling, and the ball bucks the wind better. Go 36

I have both, the difference in my opinion is about .040 in dia. Not trying to be a wise guy, it makes no difference to me in the plinking and squirrel shooting. They both will do fine. I can't say there is no more meat damage to a 36 as I only head shoot them. Fouling is no problem either as I only use Swiss. Which feels good to you?

Let me offer you my OPINIONS.
(Unlike some here, I do NOT claim to be "an expert", though I have owned both a .32 & a .36 ML rifle in the past & shot both a great deal.)

1. Either caliber is fully adequate to kill squirrels cleanly. - Otoh, in my OPINION, neither caliber is fully adequate for game larger than coyotes.
2. Either is CHEAP to shoot, as they use LITTLE black powder.
3. Both can be loaded with "bulk" buckshot, which is FAR cheaper than buying "factory" lead ML balls.
(A 8 pound bag/bottle of #1 or 000 buckshot will last a person a REALLY long time.)
BUT
4. Neither is safe to shoot up into trees, in an area where there are nearby homes/farms or PEOPLE.
(That's why we do not allow squirrel hunting, with rifles, on our farm. - Shotguns, loaded with #6 or #7 1/2 shot, are also fully adequate for squirrels & MUCH SAFER than ANY rifle, where there are people within several 100 yards.)

yours, satx

Thanks to all. I was looking for aspects of the two that I hadn't thought of, and you gave'em to me. I kinda suspected that the .32 might require more barrel swabbing, but never considered things like using 000buck for ammo or ramrod breakage. It sounds like the .36 is my preferred choice. I've never handled either, so I don't know about which one feels better. I've seen the odd one at local gun shows when I wasn't looking for one...now that I have an interest, they'll probably be impossible to find.

That's a shame to hear about the range they'll carry out to. I'm just not comfortable shooting up into the air with a .22...I was hoping these would be safer in that respect.

You can alter (lower) your loads so they don't carry as far. 32s and 36s are getting harder to find at a decent price. I would not hesitate to p/u either one if seen at a good price. My 32 came with an aluminum ramrod so I don't have to worry about breakage. I have no trouble loading as long as I swab between shots or at least every few shots.

I agree. I've been going down the powder scale on my small cals. Currently I'm shooting (all 3f Goex) 15 grains in my 36, and 10 grains in both my 32 cal and 30 cal. Yet ALL of them are still more destructive than even a 22 LR hollow point.

Here's an insight: With no expansion at all, every single one of these is bigger than most EXPANDED 22 HPs. And that starts at the surface rather than waiting somewhere inside the critter to start expanding.

If yer ball is going only as fast as a 22, it's still going to raise cob on meat if you hit in the wrong place.

And if as slow or slower than a 22, that little RB is not going to carry anywhere near as far as the 22 on elevated shots.

I know it isn't what you asked. But I would consider a .40 cal. You need to take head shots anyway. It is harder to get balls on the road.(non existent) .But would be better for a bit bigger game also. And no ram rod problems. Just an idea, :idunno: Larry

I have had both a .32 and a .36 and I prefer the .36. But, if there is a consideration about projectiles going too far, you may want to buy a 20 or 28 gauge smoothbore and use shot. The nice thing about a smoothbore is that you can load shot for small game such as squirrels, rabbits, etc. and for birds and you can also load a patched round ball and use it for larger game such as deer, elk, etc. When shooting patched round balls in a smoothbore, you will have to keep your shots under 100 yards. The smoothbore just isn't as accurate as a rifled gun beyond about 50 to 75 yards. But, if you keep your deer shots down to less than 100 yards, a smoothbore may be the best thing for your specific needs.

I've shot squirrels with both the .32 and .36. For years I used a .32 Crockett on squirrels and it was super accurate. Some years back I got a .36 flint SMR and semi retired the Crockett. For a dedicated small game rifle you can't do better than a .32. The .36 is bigger but shares the same qualities as the .32. Both are CHEAP to shoot especially if you mould your on ball. I used the same load in both, 20 grains of 3F. In my .36 that load rolls soda cans at 80 plus yards. Just be careful with your shots and either will do.

After 13 years I decided to let the Crockett go so as to get a .32 twin to my SMR. Never have I had fouling problems with either caliber. Both would easily keep shooting all after noon without wiping. The "secret" is in the lube and having a snug prb fit.

You know, I've been thinking as I read your post: A .40-.50 caliber "plain vanilla" smoothie just might be the ticket for tree rats, bunnies & small game up to foxes with small shot AND a "fair to middling" killer for south TX with PRB out to 50M or more.
(Especially if a person had only one ML. - Here in the brush-lands, a shot of 20-30M is fairly common.)

yours, satx

I use Black MZ in my 32 and 36. It is very accurate and never have to swab the bore. Must be packed tight for best accuracy. I haven't hunted with either one, but my 36 has a long barrel, so I'd probably choose it.

Latest posts

Back